latency || lukesse

***

Requested by EmTheMinecraftTurd

We walked down the path in complete silence. The only noises were the rustling of an old map in Petra's hand, Ivors groaning and complaining, Lukas' quiet humming, and my sniffling and dry coughs.

Lukas decided to finally break the silence. "...Petra, are you sure we're going the right way?" He asked, sounding a bit despondent.

"Yes!" She grumbled. "Its.. just a long walk! Right, Jesse?" She turned toward me, desperate for backup. "We've been here!"

"Yeah. It's just a long walk." I said, immediately going quiet again. Lukas glanced at me, looking fairly confused, but seemed to just dismiss it like the others until I saw him carefully matching my slow walking pace, looking straight into my eyes, opening his mouth to speak.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes yes yes, I'm fine," I quickly blurted out, telling him the first excuse that came to mind. "My mouth is just dry." 

He frowned, obviously seeing through my lie.  I flashed him a look, and instead of addressing me even further, he goes through with the lie. 

"Here, take my water." He dug around in his bag, finding his last drops of water in a canteen. He handed it out to me. I  paused.

...

"No, I can't do that." I declined. "It's not mine, just save it for when you need it."

"Ugh, I insist." He replied, annoyance laced in his words. "Just take it. I'll find some more near a lake."

I looked away, brushing my hair behind my ear as I felt the warmth instantly come to my face. "Fine." 

I complied, snatching the bottle and gulping it down quickly, not even bothering for a waterfall. I let my lips touch the bottle, gulping down the last of his water, and handed it back to him.

"Thanks.." I croaked. "I appreciate it."
"You know Jesse," he whispered to me, "you don't have to lie. Just tell us what's going on. We're your friends, we can help you." 

I smiled, my lips slightly trembling, trying to keep myself from coughing. "Yeah, I'm fin-" I cut myself off, going into a coughing frenzy.
"I'm fine," I continued. "Just a bit sick."

A few minutes later, I suddenly felt like my head weighed nothing. I could barely see my surroundings, and I couldn't remember how to walk without accidentally sidestepping or tripping on my own foot. Everything was so bright and spinning like it was floating in the air...

***

Lukas

While walking next to Jesse, I could see her starting to act... weird. I saw sidestepping and tripping out of the corner of my eye. She didn't seem to care about her raven black hair flying into her face, her fluorescent yellow hairclip falling onto the pavement. Her face was growing to a pure chalk white, and her deep emerald eyes turning a pasty green. Her eyes started darting around with a face of pure wonder...

Until she collapsed right onto the grass with a loud thud, her sword clanging into the distance. I looked around for the others, but they were way far ahead, and trying to wake her up had no result. I had no choice but to carry her sword and run to the others with her in my arms bridal style. Even though this was supposed to be nothing special, just a favor for a friend, but I could still feel something else. A feeling manifesting latency. I don't know. I just ran, ignoring it like I usually do.

...

They all stared at Jesse, trying to wake her up. "WAKE UP!!" Ivor screamed in her ear, accompanied by a hard slap from Petra. I shook her a bit, even gently smacked her with my bow, but to no avail.

"I guess we should settle down, let her get some rest somewhere that's more comfortable than my arms," I said, looking down at her colorless face.

"Yeah." Petra nodded in agreement.

"Let's go build a cabin near the lake over there. That way we can get her some water, maybe get her some mushroom stew, and Ivor can give her a potion if shes still not feeling better." She said, glaring at Ivor.

"Potion? You mean like a potion of healing?"

"Yes."

"POTION OF HEALING?? IM NOT WASTING MY PRECIOUS HOURS OF BREWING ON A STUPID COLD-"

Ivor shrieked as Petra punched him in the face. He staggered backward, dropping the potion, and Petra snatched it out of mid-air and handed it to me. I hesitated, but ended up grabbing it from her and put it into my inventory anyway.

"Let's go get on that cabin."

"Yeah."

I looked at Jesse's face one more time before setting her down near a tree bark and starting to punch trees nearby. When punching, grimacing in pain from all the splinters. I just wonder why Jesse never told us she was a bit sick. And as soon as I thought about her again, the feeling manifesting latency came back again.

I sighed. If only she told us she was a bit sick.

***

REEEEEEE

omg i dont like writing girls at all (apart from petra) even though im a girl kfenjbsduijkdfsyusfid

also this was ready to publish like 2 days ago but i put so many unnecessary revisions and i was so anxious cuz this is my first story since 2016 and kjrfbhfueijheu i just closed my eyes and hit publish

ok ill shut up now bye bye