my wasteland || harpvor

As I thought more about the wasteland that was my town, I couldn't help but feel guilty.

The ground was infertile, there was no water for anyone, and it resembled a full-out wasteland. ...It used to be so beautiful; green grass, beautiful flowers, trees at every corner. Now, its just dead shrubs and blocks of dirt. Basically PAMA's dreamworld.

Taking a photo from Harry's item frame, I reminisced of the times when it used to be simpler. 

Me and PAMA. 

Together. Both of us beaming as bright as we possibly could, arm in robot torso. 

I remember being so proud of myself for building PAMA. Being the first person in any world in the whole portal hallway to build a semi-sentient robot. That could accompany me while I sat here in my lonely "office", making technological achievements while making me feel... not alone. Like a good friend would. While also being useful.

I ripped Pama's half of the photo off, throwing it as far as I could across my office. 

That's the thing- they weren't even useful. They just made everything worse. They made this into a wasteland. 

My wasteland that I'm not even helping to fix.

Tears rolling down my cheeks, I hit Harry's button, just wanting a slight boost of confidence. Something to tell me that this whole thing wasn't permanent.

He spoke, but his words went through one ear and out the other. Staring at his rose, I realized it started to wither.

I dropped the flower and accidentally stepped on it as I heard a knock on the entrance. Sighing and throwing out Harry's rose, I opened the door.

There stood Ivor, the stupidest member of the Old and New Order of the Stone, holding something behind his back while grinning the fakest smile I've ever seen.

"Uhh-hello." He stuttered, darting his eyes away from mine, his smile fading.

"Hi. What'chu want?" 

He let himself in, slipping past me while still holding the mystery item behind his back, making sure I don't get a glance at it.

"Uh... What's that behind your back?

He flopped onto the bed, stretching his old man bones and sighing in relief.

...

"I never said you can come in..."

"I let myself in! Since, you know, we are friends. That's what friends do. Correct?" 

"Sure Ivor..., but can you tell me what's behind your back?"

He actually recoiled back, startled, like he forgot he was holding something. "Oh! That. Oh uhm..."

He paused, clearing his throat dramatically. "Well, I brought you something."

I quirked up an eyebrow at him. "What is it?"

"Well..."

"..."

"WellsinceIambadwithwordsIdecidedtogiveyouthis." He said faster than the speed of light. Tired of standing, I sat down next to him, while also trying to sneak a peek.

"Huh? I didn't hear you."

"You heard me." He said in a surprisingly growly voice.

I rested my elbow on my thigh and squinted at him in confusion.

"No, I didn't. That's why I said I ain't... These old woman ears can't comprehend that fast." 

"You're not old, I AM!"

I forced my lips into a tight line. 

"Okay. So, once again, what's behind your back...?"

He pressed his eyes shut tightly, shoving the item in my face. I took the item and pushed his hand away from my face, spitting out whatever was that came in my mouth.

As I inspected it closer, I realized what it actually was.

"A rose..?"

He let his eyes open, staring at the floor.

"I don't like telling people my emotions," he confessed, talking at a normal pace, "So I just gave you this instead. To show you."

This wasn't typically something I would find funny, but after the awkward silence hung in the air, I burst actually out in laughter. And after a few seconds, so did he.

As I laughed, I let my hand slip toward his, and interlaced my fingers and gripped tightly.

This may be my wasteland, but it's not mine to face alone anymore.

***

Sorry I use the word "wasteland" so much.