Chapter 1 -A Slip-

I stared at the box in my hands. It wasn't an unusual box, just one that I hadn't seen in years. One that I had hoped I wouldn't have to see again. Nothing scary about it. Just a small decorated shoebox filled with photos. Mom cleared her throat. 

"I kept this under my bed after I had found it in the recycling bin back in your senior year of high school, I never understood why it had been thrown out." Mom said, also putting two Tupperware containers of cookies and lasagna she said she had made last night on top of it. "I thought you kept all of your photos, so I thought your brother had done something." I forced a smile, thanking Mom as she started getting her things together. "Oh, and tell your friends that I said hi, okay sweetie? And don't binge on all the cookies, you should share." I nodded. 

"Well thanks for coming over Mom, I really appreciate it." I said, putting the items she gave me onto my coffee table. "I have to go finish up my work stuff so I'll see you later." Mom nodded and then left after she gave me a hug. I closed the apartment door behind her and counted to 102 by threes before I let myself scream once. I put the lasagna and the cookies in their place in my small apartment, and then stared at the box that sat so threateningly yet passively on my table. 

"Ooh, what's that?" Melanie, my roommate asked as she walked in. She walked over to the shoebox on the table. "It looks interesting."

"Please don't open it." I said to Melanie. "Why did she have to bring this one back out of all of them?" I muttered. I put the lasagna into our mini fridge and the cookies in the cabinet before starting to go to the living slash dining room. Our apartment was small and needed a lot of things done but it was just for rent and it was the cheapest to find. A kitchen, living room slash dining room, a bathroom and a  I had actually met Melanie only when I moved in since she was the person I'd split the rent with. 

"Why are there only a bunch of pictures of you with random people and random things?" Melanie asked. I turned around and saw her rummaging through the box. 

"Stop!" I shrieked, and then I felt my foot catch on the odd floorboard that was yet to be fixed. I fell, felt myself slam into something, and everything went black.