Chapter 1: Mel

If only she knew me better. Because what I thought was great, she cried over for months. I told my friends the news four months ago, and they didn't take it that well... When I told Hannah the news she fainted, when I told Claire the news she cried every night for a few months and for Avery, she never responded back to me. I tried to tell them that moving to Italy for at least five years isn't that bad, but they cried every time I said "Italy" or "moving".

I couldn't wait to catch my flight, but when my parents and I were dropped off at the airport Claire and Hannah texted me saying they were crying so hard it felt like rain showers down their cheeks.

"Excuse me,which way is flight 6?" My mom asked one of the airport workers. The response she gave was pointing to our left. We continued walking left until we saw flight 6 already boarding.

We need to board, and fast, it seemed like the flight was almost leaving. If we missed this flight we missed the next five years. This flight meant the world to me and I couldn't let it leave without me. I ran toward the worker and handed her my boarding pass really fast. Too fast. Too fast that the corner ripped off when she grabbed the boarding pass. The corner meant the barcode, and the barcode meant the only way to get on this flight. This flight already had our luggage on it, so the only thing it was missing was us.

My face got hot and my dad's jaw dropped as wide as possible. My mom started to show signs of tears. I wrecked our move completely. The worker tried to scan the ripped corner, but it didn't work. We were going to miss our flight.

Nobody spoke, so the worker talked first. "You will need a new boarding pass to get on a flight. The next one is in three days."

"Three days?" My mom whimpered.

You can't rewind the past and you can't skip to the future, so I'll have to just live in the present for now... And that's all I remembered for the next two days.

"Mel, how are you feeling?" My dad asked me.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You blanked out after the worker said you'd have to get a new boarding pass. Then we brought you to the hospital to make sure you'd be okay." My dad sounded calm, or something like that.

"Did you get a new boarding pass for the next flight?" I said.

"Yes we did and everything is going to be okay now." My dad really knew how to calm me.

I just want to be in Italy right now. Maybe if I could find a magic lamp like the movies everything really would be okay. I'd rub it and a genie would pop out and grant me three wishes.

We got back to the airport at 3:00pm because our new flight started boarding at 4:30. This time we wouldn't miss our flight. I was stupid and I'm not going to let that happen ever again.

Seated. Buckled. Ready. Set. Fly. I'm flying. In the sky.