Chapter 8: The Case is Found

Sherlock ran down the steps, thumping noisily.  I raced after him, and John hobbled behind me.  I thought about politely pausing for John, but I didn't really want to.  I wanted to go on a case with Sherlock.   I ran outside after him.  The ground was wet and slippery and I almost slipped and fell, but I caught my balance.  

        "Sherlock!" I yelled after him.  "What mistake?!"  I barely made out what he said, he was already hopping into a cab.  

        "PINK!" he shouted excitedly, and then the cab pulled away.

         I stood there, staring at the back of the cab, my hands on my hips.  I was thinking so hard about what he had said.  Pink.  What was pink?  Nearly everything about the dead woman.  So naturally, the suitcase would be pink!  Oh!  I slapped my hand on my forehead.  It was so obvious!  The suitcase would be bright pink, too!  

        I heard John behind me and I turned around.  My eyes were wide and I was panting slightly from running down the steps and outside and shouting.  "Don't you see?" I asked excitedly.  "The suitcase!  It's bright pink!"  John stared at me blankly.  His chest heaved from hobbling down the stairs and his hand gripped his cane so tightly that his knuckles were white.  

        "No, I don't see.  And where's Sherlock gone?" John looked down the street.  It was empty except for a small rodent that darted across it.         

        "He's gone," said Donovan behind us.  The skin on the back of my neck prickled.  I really didn't like her.

        "Sherlock?" asked John.  He looked at me. I nodded.  

        "He just took off." Donovan waved her hands in the air, exaggerating.  "He does that."  

        "It's not like we can't get a cab," I said.  "We need to leave, now.  Come on, John!" I said.        

        "But is he coming back?" asked John.

        "No, but come on!" I said, fidgeting impatiently.  I wanted to catch up with Sherlock before he made some other development that he wouldn't have time to tell me about.  John simply stood in the road.  "Look," I said.  "I like you and all, but I'm not going to wait for you, I need to go now!"

        "You can go, I am going to talk to Lestrade," John turned around.

        Darn.  I wanted him to come.  Nevertheless, I sprinted up to the main road and dialed Sherlock's number on my phone.

        "Hello Enola, what is it?" he asked irritably. I could hear he was in a car.  

        "Where are you?" I ask.  I saw an empty cab coming and I wave it.  It pulls over and I hop in.  "Hold on a  sec please," I tell the cab driver.

        "I'm going to the dumpster behind Bart's," Sherlock said.  I turned to the cab driver.  

        "Can you please take me to Bart's Hospital?" I asked the cab.  "And be quick if you can."       

        "Why are you going to look in the dumpster?" I asked.  Why did I ask that.  He was going to look for the suitcase.

        "Honestly Enola, I'm dissapointed," he said.

        "I know, I realized how obvious it was after I said it."

        "How fast do you think you can get here?" asked Sherlock.

        " I don't know, probably about 5 minutes.  I mean it's not that far."

        "Good, I won't wait then," and then he hung up.