SPACE IS BEAUTIFUL (Prologue)

Author's Note (A/N): First draft, VERY rough, will be updating based on feedback/grammar/etc over next few days! Great to be back! 

A/N: Sept 17: Updated grammar, structure, added contextual dates (first time writing flashbacks!).

FADE IN: 

EXT. SPACE:

The camera floats slowly past planets light years away from Earth, the NGC 6302 nebula, and other incredible extra solar views.

NARRATOR VOICE-OVER

Space. The final frontier... Or something. 

Since the dawn of man, we have looked to the stars for ... something. Meaning? Sure. Escape? Probably. These days, even for the hope that our species survives. 

But in spite of every sci-fi show there is one truly sad truth. Space is empty. Like, really empty. Like if you lived in New York City and it took you two years to walk to Las Vegas and through the whole trip you not only saw no cars, but you didn't see ANYTHING. No signs. No turns. No trees. Nothing.

Empty.

So empty that if you were, say, a disembodied voice floating through space at a leisurely pace doing a voice-over for some over-produced Hollywood movie it wouldn't just be months between seeing someone, the odds are you simply would NEVER see someone. 

So it's a good thing I get all of these incredible views. I mean look at that nebula! Look at the ice rings on that planet. Space is excessively empty... but it is also beautiful. 

Since I know I'll never see anyone else out here, the views are really all I have.

OFF-SCREEN (faint voice from behind camera)

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

NARRATOR V/O

What the...

A small pillar of white streaks across the sky heading straight for the system's nearest star... slowly, but only because of the great distance.

CAMERA ZOOMS IN ON THE TINY SPLOTCH OF SOMETHING

The tiny circular craft, so small that it is clearly an escape craft of some type, is now very clearly heading directly for the core of the star.

PILOT

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 

Okay James, breathe. BREATHE! 

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING.

Inside the cramped cockpit of the escape craft, we find our intrepid, uh, hero.Looking around the cramped unlit cabin, James sees that none of the system lights are on, the viewer is off, everything is off. Figuring everything being off is likely a bad thing, he attempts to turn something on, anything.

JAMES

Okay, um, dark ship... TURN ON! 

SHIP

...

JAMES

OPEN SESAME!