chapter 03;

chapter three;- fear;

chapter three;
- fear;

THE NIGHT ITSELF WAS EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL, THAN THE BLEEDING SKY AT SUNSET. Some stars were shining, and the dim light of the half moon dipped the dark streets in a lightened aura, which promised to keep the little creatures of the night safe. Even if Bleiz was normally walking the whole night, he has stopped today on a rock, just to watch the city. Some people were telling, that the night was quiet, almost dead. That the darkness would've meant death.

But they were wrong. They were all wrong. The night was full of life, if you would listen. Strong hooves of a deer made the leaves to rustle. Her light-brown eyes searching for any danger, or anything else, which could harm her fawn behind her long legs. A strong, bitter scent as mixed with the sweetness of the flowers. The clever fox ran after a fast rabbit, until it finally has caught it and sank its' teeth in the yet warm fur of the animal. The rabbit would be part of the fox after its' death, and the fox would turn to grass and be part of the rabbit. That was the balance of the nature, which has existed since the dinosaurs. It was a circle, which couldn't break, no matter what.

With his nose high, Bleiz tried to identify the several fragrances in the night life. It was almost too much to take, so he simply quit it and laid his head on the long, black, furry legs again. No animal would harm him. He was stronger than any of them, maybe even stronger than a bear, but he has never heard about bears in California anyway. Or wolves. At least, wild ones. A soft howl escaped his throat, ears standing straight up in the air, just to hear the replies. But there came no howling back. Only some barks of the several dogs, who were still awake, however shushed by their annoyed owners. With a sad whimper, Bleiz laid his head back down. What is the sense of a wolf's life with no pack? Nobody to protect or at least to take care of.

Like in trance, the giant wolf stood up, slowly walking back to the hotel. There was something different this time. Almost the whole weight of the world seemed to rest on his shoulders. Every step that he made, felt like another mistake. Another failure. It has been a huge mistake, to transform back some months ago. What was he without his inner wolf? A shadow. Only one of many. He would've lived his life. Frustrated, depressed, tired. Standing up, making coffee, getting ready for the job, working, coming back home and sleep. Every day the same stuff. How could people live with that? Maybe he was just weak, but Bleiz couldn't imagine for himself, to make this his whole life. It would destroy him.

Another whine escaped the throat of the wolf. There was something else, which destroyed him. The sweet scent laid again in the air, which pulled him like a magnet to the direction, from where it came from. Still, he couldn't reach it. It was almost impossible for him, to follow the fragrance. This other, bitter one was disturbing. It burnt in his nose, made the wolf whimpering. It was irritating, confusing, so he just shook his head, continuing his way to the hotel.

Like a blanket, the darkness was comforting him. He felt embraced and safe by the shadows of the night. It must have looked weird. Such a giant beast so calmly and peacefully, walking down the streets. Not even a single sound escaped him. Too much, the wolf was lost in his thoughts, ignoring almost everything else around him. The streets were quiet anyway, because almost nobody would go outside in the night. And if somebody would, they won't last longer. There could be far worse creatures than he, out in the night. The wolf looked up, the moon reflecting in his black pupil.