Chapter Two: The Hospital

One and a half year later...

Kongphop turned off the ignition of his car and took a deep breath. He should be happy to meet his friends after two months of continuous working, but for some reason, he felt an ominous sensation in his heart...maybe because they were meeting at the same restaurant that held many fond memories of—

Kongphop shook his head, not wishing to remember this now. It was over. He had a fiancée now; a beautiful lady who loved him very much and would soon be his wife. It was unfair and unfaithful of him to think of and lament past relationships.

Taking a deep breath, Kongphop got out of the car and to the open-air restaurant.

"Yo! Kong! How are you?" His friends, Em, May, Tew, and Oak were already there, waiting for his arrival. They had not changed much during the years, whether in looks or personality. Kongphop felt a strange warmth spreading inside his chest upon realizing that they were still the friends he knew and loved from college.

"Hi, everyone. I'm fine and how are you all?" He greeted as he sat beside Tew.

"We're fine," Em replied. "It's been a while."

"Yes, working for my father is harder than I had thought," Kongphop said. "He's not giving me any chance to rest."

"Never work for relatives," Oak commented. "You would think that they would go easy on you, but the truth is exactly the opposite."

"Where is Wad?" Kongphop asked.

"He told me earlier that he can't make it," Tew replied. "He suddenly become very busy these days. Hey, Kong, why do you make him work so hard?"

"Me?"

"Doesn't he work at your father's company?"

"We both work at different departments, Tew," Kongphop replied. "I work at the main office while Wad works at the warehouse. We hardly see each other."

Oak coughed. "Wad isn't busy with work. He's busy with his boyfriend, P'Prem!"

"What?"

"Wad and P'Prem are dating?"

Oak nodded in reply.

"How do you know?" May asked.

"I saw them with my own eyes walking over the bridge one night."

"Wad and P'Prem?" Em wondered. "I can't see that happening."

"Cause you're blind," Oak said. "Me, on the other hand, have double vision."

"You got that right, four-eyes!"

Everyone laughed and soon they were all engaged in a merry conversation and food.

"Hey, look, isn't that P'Knott?" Suddenly Oak exclaimed, glancing over Kongphop's shoulders. Everyone looked in that direction and sure enough, dressed in a pair of black trousers, a dark grey shirt and white jacket was their former senior in college, Knott, scanning the restaurant with his eyes until he found what he was looking for before he walked to a table full of the rest of their former seniors.

Kongphop's heart clenched slightly as his eyes scanned the people present at the table, looking for a certain pale-skinned, dark-haired former Head Hazer. Unfortunately, or perhaps, fortunately, Arthit wasn't present.

"I can see P'Prem, but I don't see Wad with them," May commented, eyeing Oak pointedly, and gaining an annoyed glare from him.

"Do you think we should go and greet them?" Tew asked.