Chapter 2

Immediately when i heard those words come out of President Snow's mouth, my heart froze. Though i also felt a relief that i wouldnt have to be chosen randomly from a crystal ball. I watched as my dad's green eyes grew wide in astonishment of what he had just heard. I saw my mom bury her head in her hands. Knowing her, she probably already felt the guilt of having to vote for an innocent child to probably get killed in the Hunger Games. Then, almost in unison, my parents stared at me. My reaction wasn't exactly scared but probably anxious.

"I think I'm gonna go for a walk," I said as i was heading out the door.

I walked to the Square where I would stand a week from now waiting to see which children will be sent to the Hunger Games. The Peacekeepers guard the district all the damn time. As you can see, I don't get along with the Peacekeepers. They are always staring at you like you are some sort of criminal. Especially me. So when the first Peacekeeper told me to get off the Square, i was ready to lash out at him, but then I remembered that making an act of aggression toward a Peacekeeper usually ends up in death so I just held it in and went back home.

When I got home my parents were discussing something together. Probably about which children to choose to go fight to the death. The votes will be held in 4 days. Each person older than 18 from each district will vote for a male amd female tribute to go into these 25th Hunger Games. It will take 3 days to count all the votes so thd Reaping will be held exactly a week from today.

For the next few days, I went on my normal routine. It was July so I wasn't in school so I kept on doing my lumberjack duties. The day of the voting, the Square was crowded by the people of District 7, including my parents. How terrible must it be to choose between the children from your district! Just seeing all the people, gave me anxiety and I was actually nervous. 3 days later, filled with anxiety (mostly from my parents), we were supposed to go to the Square in our best clothes because today was the day of the Reaping. Last night I had s nightmare where I was alone in a dark room where I couldn't see a thing. Suddendly, i just feel a whole bunch of winged creatures just starting to peck at me and eat me alive. I woke up covered in sweat, and I couldn't go back to sleep so I just lay there in my bed thinking about the Reaping. I got dressed and headed out to the Square when it was time. My mom kissed my cheek and my dad gave me a hug before we had to split up so they could take a blood sample from me and I could stand with the rest of the 17-year olds. A lot of minutes passed while everyone got there and got organized. Suddendly, a big screen popped up and came a message from President Snow talking about the Dark Days and the rebels and all that. Then came our escort Petunia Flaregrass in her long green dress with her light green curly wig with greenish skin. I swear that if she didn't have arms and legs, I would have confused her for a tree. Capitol makeup just looks stupid and disgusting. Then came our only two victors from District 7, Darren who was in his 30s and Timeron who was in his 20s. Afterward came our Mayor. I don't really know a lot of him since I don't see him often.

"Welcome to the first Quarter Quell of the Hunger Games. Today the tributes will be chosen from votes the adults from this districts casted. So, as we always say, Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor" boomed Petunia Flaregrass's voice through the speakers.

"Ladies first." She said as she walked to the crystal ball with only one name in it. She returned to the mic and unfolded the paper and read, " The female tribute of District 7 is... Kathryn Firemay"

I looked to the crowd of girls. She was an 18 year old girl. Blonde hair and brown eyes. Hair in two ponytails. She was tall and looked strong. I looked as she stepped up on the stage. I had seen her before in school but had never had a conversation with her. I guess I know why she was chosen. She definetely looks like a victor.

"Very well. Very well. And now for the boys." Said Petunis as she grabbed the only piece of paper inside the other crystal ball and walked back to the microphone. "The male tribute for District 7 is..."

I bit my lips

"Trevor Danbark"

----------------------()---------------------

I hope you have been enjoying the stories so far. This is my first story so I'm not an expert or anything but I hope you like it.✨