- 9 -

9 — Beauty

Asshole. After telling him exactly what I think, I turned away from Adam and went in search of my gorgeous Snowball. I noticed that he'd called me by my normal nickname instead of Belle the whole time. Clearly, he was serious about the whole thing.

It was so hard for me to not reach out and just . . . knock some sense into him.

 knock some sense into him

He can't chase me away. How can you walk away from someone who saved you when they knew nothing about you? How can you walk away from them knowing that they're doomed?

Adam has decided to go back to his tiny little laptop, so I angrily entertain Snowball by tossing random handfuls of snow at her while she tries to dodge. It's amusing to watch, and I find myself smiling at her.

I hear Adam sigh about half an hour later and turn to look at him. "What?"

"Your horse is wandering again."

I look around until I find Felix walking towards the gate. I sigh as I stand up and dust my skirt off. "I'll go get him, don't worry."

It's only after I've caught up to Felix that I realise I've gone beyond the gates -- that are now closed. I turn to find Adam standing a few feet away, netbook in hand.

"Adam . . . what are you doing?"

"I'm sorry, Donna, but I'm not going to let you throw your life away by staying here. You have a family that loves you and probably misses you like hell. Go back to them."

"Adam! Open the gate!"

He doesn't look up from the notebook. "Bleu packed a nice basket for you and Alfred packed a couple of clothes into the other bag Felix is carrying. You should be set to go safely, considering it's early morning. You should leave now before you risk travelling in the dark."

"Adam!"

I go to rattle the gates, but I find that I can't even grab the bars. There's some kind of force field over them that ripples when I touch it. Adam pockets the closed netbook.

"Living around so much tech has its perks sometimes. That field is generated with the energy from the rose. You won't get past it without something that's either very strong or very fast. Felix certainly isn't fast enough."

That apparently upsets my horse enough for him to glare at Adam.