Visiting Columbus

His alarm clock sounded, waking him up quickly. He groaned and unhooked his phone from the charger, dropping the charger to his floor. Checking the time, 8:15, was across his lock screen. There was only about two hours until Caimen was leaving to visit his friends, and roommates, in Columbus.

Caimen made his way from his bed to his dresser, grabbing his clothes for the day. Underwear, t-shirt, jeans, and he mentally picked out his shoes before exiting his room, making his way to a nice hot shower. The hot water smacked his skin and didn't necessarily wake him up, but made him want to go back to sleep. In an effort to stay awake, the rest of his shower was rushed. After climbing out, he combed his hair and styled it, retreating back to his room to pack his bags.

Ding. Ding. His ears perked at the sound of a text message notification.

Alexis: Good morning! What are your plans for the day?

A smile stretched across Caimen's lips as he tried to type out a response quickly.

Caimen: Actually packing a bag to head down to school for the weekend. I'm leaving in about an hour.
Caimen: Have you seen campus yet?

He sent both of his messages and dropped his phone back on his freshly made bed. He had clothes, charger, shoes, wallet, keys. "Food." Caimen mumbled, reminding himself that he was eventually going to have to eat.

He swung his bag over his shoulder and grabbed his phone, just as it vibrated in his hands.

Alexis: That sounds like fun! No, I haven't had a chance to visit campus yet.

Caimen smiled, and made his way into the living area where his mom was preparing to leave for work.

"I'm headed down to see some friends. I should be home on Sunday night." His mother smiled and gave him a hug. "You be careful, let me know when you get there." Caimen nodded and turned back to his phone.

Caimen: You should come with.

Alexis: I would, but I'm not even out of bed yet.

Caimen laughed and shook his head, letting himself out the front door. He climbed into his truck and cranked the engine.

Caimen: Look up directions on how to get there. I'll meet up with you and you can follow me to the apartment. See you tonight. Drive safe.

Without another glance, he connected his phone to the stereo in his truck and put his music on shuffle. He carefully pulled out of his driveway and was on his way.

Almost two hours later, Caimen arrived on campus. His phone rang and he answered. "Wow, you have really good timing. Open the gate." He hung up the phone as he pulled up to the gate that circled the apartments. The apartments had two stories, half brick, half siding. He'd been told multiple times that these apartments used to be old hotels - he could believe it. The gate slid open and Caimen rushed his truck through, driving around the complex. He found building F and parked in front of it. Caimen disconnected his phone and turned his truck off, grabbing his bag and hopping out.

His best friend, Trey, was standing on the balcony smoking a cigarette when he jogged up. "What's up, man?" Caimen greeted him with a high five and a side hug. "Nothing too much. I'm ready to get in to one of those houses, these apartment is going to be cramped this weekend." Caimen laughed. "Yeah, I invited my friend Alexis to come hang with us this weekend. She starts classes with us soon, but this will be her first time on campus." Trey nodded. "Cool, cool. Is she cute?" Caimen smirked and gave him a laugh. "Yeah, she's cute. I'm not sure if she's single or not, though." Trey shrugged. "Damn. Can you find out for me?" Caimen nodded. "I can try."

He stepped inside the apartment and greeted his other friends. "Which room is empty? I'm not trying to share the same room as any of you." He laughed. Garrett pointed to the room by the kitchen. "That one's open." Caimen nodded and walked back, dropping his bag on one of the beds in there. "Your light doesn't work, though!" Garrett shouted. Caimen smiled and rolled his eyes, testing the bathroom light. He was right. "Why do you always do this to me?" He laughed, plopping down on the couch.

"Y'all, Caimen's got a girl coming down." Trey shouted as he re-entered the apartment and shut the door. The boys all around him stared. "Is she cute?" "Is she single?" "Are you dating?" Caimen threw his hands up in surrender. "No! We are not dating. She's just my friend!" He laughed. "But Trey already has dibs." Caimen gestured and the guys booed and threw things at Trey. He moved to reposition himself and felt his phone vibrating. He climbed off the couch and walked outside to answer it.

"Hello?"
"Hey, Cai."

His heart started to pound in his chest harder than it ever has before.

"Oh. Hey, Alyssa."
"What are you up to?"
"I'm just down in Columbus for the weekend with my roommates. What's up? Are you okay?"

There was a long silence on her end.
"Yeah, I'm okay. I just miss you is all. Wanted to check on you."

Caimen smiled. "Oh. You mean to tell me that big and bad Miss Mulatto misses Whiteboy?" He laughed.

Alyssa erupted with laughter on the other end.

"Cai, you stupid." He smiled again.

He realized how much he'd missed her, but he also realized that this is why he had to cut their friendship off. His skin tingled and his stomach was flipping around.

"So, what's down in Columbus?" He heard shuffling on her end. She must've just laid down.

"My friends. Bars. Food." He laughed. "I think we're having a party tonight if you want to come down. Alexis will be here, too."

Caimen felt the mood shift a little at the mention of Alexis.

"Oh. Well, I don't know.."

"You can bring Marco. Trey's a fan." Caimen smiled.

Why did he just say that? He knew he didn't like Marco and that it made him sick to watch him hang all over her the way he does.

"Are you sure?" Alyssa sighed. "I'm starting to think you want to be his friend more than you want to be mine." She laughed.

"I'm not even supposed to be friends with you, Alyssa. That's why I haven't called you." He said softly.

"Yeah, what's up with that?" She asked sternly.

"I tell you what. If you come down to hang with us, I'll tell you." Caimen spilled. He didn't want to say that, but he had hope in the conversation they needed to have.

"Send me the address. See you, Cai."

"See you." He said, going back inside.