Chapter Seven

The next day was even harder. Dana cried half the day that she was leaving and Summer encouraged her the whole time that she was going to do great and land the promotion.

The other half of the day, Jesse avoided them both by staying in the kitchen and making the lasagna he promised Dana.

"Hey, you've been awfully quiet," Dana said, coming into the kitchen and opening the fridge.

Jesse shrugged as he tossed the salad.

"Everything okay?" she asked, taking out some sodas.

"Yeah. Fine," he answered.

Dana set the cans down on the counter and felt his forehead.

"What are you doing?" he asked, stopping his tossing.

"Seeing if you're sick."

"I'm fine," he said again, pulling away. "Guess I'm just going to miss you," he muttered.

"What was that? Did you say you're going to miss me?" she teased.

"Don't get a big head about it. They have size limits on the plane you know," he answered sarcastically.

She kissed his cheek. "There's my Jesse."

"Will you leave me alone so I can finish this?" he asked annoyed.

"Snippy. Snippy!" Dana muttered and left the kitchen.

She went back into her bedroom and handed Summer one of the sodas."Stay out of the kitchen."

"Why?" Summer asked with a laugh at the expression on Dana's face.

"He's being moody."

Summer raised an eyebrow and popped the soda can open."Oh?"

"He's not usually," Dana said thoughtfully, taking a drink out of her can.

"He's probably hungry. He's moody when he's hungry. He's almost as bad as Colt. Good thing for you to know. Either of them snaps at you, throw them a steak."

Summer laughed, "I will definitely make a note about that."

Dana nodded and sat on the bed. "Are you going to be okay here?"

"Oh, sure. I'm sure we'll get along fine. Jesse seems nice enough." She paused to take a drink. "He doesn't have a girlfriend does he?!"

"Why? Interested?"

Summer blushed then shook her head. "I was just wondering. In case. In case...you know...like I walk in and he's got a girl here or something."

Dana laughed. "No. He's not seeing anyone right now. And when he does, he usually doesn't bring them home."

Summer nodded and took another drink relieved in more ways than one.

Dinner was pretty quiet. They sat in silence except for the several moans of appreciation of the lasagna from Dana and Summer.

They cleaned up the dishes and loaded up Dana's things in the back of Jesse's black truck. Dana sat between them nervously twisting her hands.

At the airport, Dana and Summer gave tearful goodbyes. Jesse stood back until they were done and hugged Dana goodbye.

Dana kissed his cheek. "Take care of her," she told him.

"Yeah, I will. Have a safe trip. Call us, so we know you didn't forget about us."

"Never," she said and hugged him tight.

When she was gone there was an uncomfortable silence. They looked at each other and laughed nervously.