Chapter 1

This is me, missing writing about Lin Beifong and taking a crack at unraveling what made Kuvira do what she did.

Keep in mind, Lin is about 34 while this is all going on. That means Su and Toph are out of her life (Lin said they didn't see each other for twenty years before LOK Book 4)

oooooooooo

"Good morning, Chief."

"Mornin', Chief."

"Chief."

Lin was making her way through the police station, politely nodding at any officer passing by. She arrived right on time, and not slightly early like every morning, since Tenzin insisted she eats her breakfast at home and not in the car as per usual.

"Good morning, Chief Beifong!"

"Morning, Officer Kun."

"You know, it still feels weird to say. It's like your old ma is back once again." the officer joked.

"It's been a month and a half already." she heard herself say already, when she actually meant only. Time did not fly by when you had this much work to do.

"I know, I just remember how you used to come here after school, so-"

"I'll have to stop you, Kun. Can we keep it professional?"

"Why do you think I called you Chief Beifong and not Teeny-Linny?"

"Alright... Where are we on the park murders?"

"I... Good. If you could be more specific..." he suddenly got a bit avoidant.

"The murders that happened in the park. It's... right there in the name."

"Sure, sure..."

"Did we arrest anyone? Find some leads?"

"Definitely. I arrested some gentlemen, but unfortunately I had to let them all go since all of them had alibies."

"Kun! The case is getting cold. I want something I can say to the press by the end of- Hold it right there!" Lin spotted a man trying to sneak past her while she was talking to Kun, "Detective Lan."

"Chief... I was just looking for you. Has anyone told you-" the young man was interrupted.

"The strangler downtown."

"Oh, yes. Of course. I found... Nothing. I found nothing."

"Well, that is unacceptable."

"It's not my fault, Chief. This case... It's unsolvable."

"I told you not to use that word around me. Nothing is unsolvable. This afternoon I will accompany you on the investigation to show you just that."

"Yes, thank you, Chief. There's also one more thing. There is a man in your office who demanded to see you as soon as you came in. Alright, I'll leave you to it." the detective said and tried walking away.

"Lan, wait! What did I tell you about this? Everyone wants the chief on their case, but I just don't have the time. You can't let anyone off the street just waltz in like-"

"He said it was a personal matter. Some family related business and I didn't want to pry."

"Family?"

"Yes. He asked for you personally, he wouldn't talk to anyone else."

Lin took a deep breath and dismissed the detective since she had no choice but to deal with the guest on her own. She assumed it was some old friend of her mom that needed a favor, Spirits knew that happened a lot. But whatever it was, Lin entered her office determined to get it all over with as quickly as possible.