Chapter 2

Picking up the story from the next morning...

oooooooooo

When the first rays of sunshine made their way into Lin's room, she was already up and half-way through her morning workout session. She had a long tradition of getting up earlier than everyone and training off some of her stress. Unfortunately, that morning the stress proved to be impervious to any kind of exercise.

She was close to finishing when she was interrupted by knocking.

"Who is it?"

"Kuvira."

"Come in." Lin said, "What do you want, kid?"

Kuvira couldn't answer immediately since she was stunned seeing Lin doing one-armed push-ups while simultaneously using her bending to raise and lower her metal-frame bed.

"So cool..." Kuvira mumbled to herself.

"What's that?"

"Baatar sent me. He wants you to have breakfast with all of us." Kuvira smiled as she followed the bed with her gaze.

"Can it wait? I have to finish my left..."

"Yeah, sure." Kuvira paused, "Do you always do that thing with the bed?"

"At home I have weights." Lin picked up the pace, "You need anything else?"

"No... Can I wait here with you?"

"Sure."

oooooooooo

In a few minutes Kuvira led Lin to the dining room where Baatar and the kids were already half done eating. Lin took the only available seat, not realizing it was probably Su's before it was too late. She started eating in silence, a bit surprised that little Junior, who was seated right next to her, didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to her. Guess, Kuvira got her used to a lot of questions and pleas.

"Junior, this is my good friend. She's the Chief of police in Republic City." Baatar said.

"Like Grandma was?" the boy asked.

"Exactly like- Huan, no! Stay in your seat!" Baatar got up to chase the smaller child, covered in fruit juice.

"They took the fruit platter away..." Kuvira sighed.

"That's what happens when we are late to breakfast." Baatar said.

"Here, I saved you a mango since I know you like them." Junior blushed slightly.

"Thanks." Kuvira accepted it, but kept all her attention on Baatar's chase after Huan.

The boy was very close to making it out of the room when Lin waved her hand and a wall of earth blocked his way.

"Thank you." Baatar told Lin when he finally had the little trouble-maker in his arms. Just like Su, Lin thought...

"Now eat your food like a good boy." Baatar secured Huan in his chair.

"No." the boy shook his head.

"Come on, buddy."

"I want mommy!"

"I told you mommy is not here right now. Please, buddy, just try it."

All eyes were focused on Huan at that moment so no one noticed a guard entered the room. He said nothing, just ran to Baatar and whispered something into his ear.

"Dad, when is Mom coming back from her trip? Dad?" Junior asked, but his dad just stared into the distance for a few seconds and then followed the guard out of the room.