Chapter 11: Demon's Offensive

After the simple dinner, we were passing our time differently.
Mary and Nina both returned inside the tent early. I noticed it a long time ago but the citizens of this world were all early sleepers. Only a handful were like me who stayed awake after dinner.

I headed towards the carriage with a bundle of Luminescence Scrolls. As I was already given permission, I would be making use of that time efficiently.

I heard that we would be travelling for half a whole day tomorrow. I will instead sleep during that time. Efficiency first.

I don’t know what Blaire was doing but didn’t mind it that much. As long as she’s not attacking me, that’s fine. Actually, there’s something much better but I doubt that could happen.
I removed the covering on the coachman’s chair and saw several metal gears meshed with each other in a complicated manner. The only magic circle drawn was drawn on top of a vertical-axis bevel gear. However, the size was too small to properly make out the lines drawn on it.

“What a bummer…”

Since I can’t read it, I took a clean sheet of paper and a chunk of coal. I laid the paper on top of the mark and passed the coal above it. The lines got passed to the paper. However, I may need some time to decipher it.
Also, since I just etched it, the accuracy may fall. It was risky so I repeated the same process several times while changing the stroke direction until I had a dozen copies of the magic circle.

After finishing, I got out of the carriage and stepped down. I looked towards the sky where a blue moon was shining brightly. The stars that I see weren’t the familiar constellations of Earth. But there were still some similarities.

The tranquil surroundings soothed my tired mind.

“Aaaaah!!!”

Suddenly, I heard a shout. I was startled and quickly turned towards the direction where it came from. However, it was too dark to see anything.

Not long after, the loud sound of the bell continuously ringing echoed and woke up everyone. Everyone got out of their tents with an expression of worry and fear.

“THE DEMONS!!! IT’S THE DEMONS!!!”

Someone shouted.

So the enemy kingdom attacked? They are quite diligent to go on offensive at night. Still, I can’t get used to everyone calling them demons.
Soon, Mary and Nina followed by Blaire came to my location.

“Are you okay?!”

Mary asked worriedly. I smiled and replied. If I act scared now, I’d just be increasing their burdens.

“I’m fine. Do you know the actual situation?”

“… They attacked from the east and west sides. A blockade was immediately formed but the front line is slowly getting pushed back. If we are to escape, we need to either go back or forward.”

Blaire immediately summarized the situation. It hadn’t been that long since the battle started. Was she perhaps acting as scout all this while?

“… What’s the chances of escaping?”

“If we leave now, probably around 50%. It will be much lower if we escape later.”

As she was speaking, several carriages were already running away. Only those too tired to move, too scared to move and can’t decide what to do remained. I silently gripped my fist.

… Wait… There’s another choice!

“Mary! Blaire! Go and support the east side! Nina and I will go and suppress the west side! We will help them!”