Intermission 2: Princess Camille and the Royal Decree

Heroes.

Existences that are far beyond common sense.

Possessing strength that surpasses a thousand men.

Possessing wits that surpasses their generation.

Blessed by the gods through their oracles.

This is what the existences called “Heroes” are.

That’s what was taught to every single living human of this world.

Not a single being knows nothing about heroes.

I, too, am no exception.

“Princess, it is time.”

A somewhat rough voice came from the other side of the door after a soft knock.

I closed the book I was reading and tidied myself in front of the mirror. Wavy long blonde hair, willful sky blue eyes, small pink lips surrounded by porcelain white skin. There’s nothing wrong with my visage.

I gracefully walked towards the door where two maids opened it gently. On the other side, a tall man wearing a full body armor was kneeling on one knee. His right arm was placed on his left chest, a sign of courtesy towards royalty.

His semi-long black hair was left alone giving him a wild feel. When matched with his short stubble and his obsidian eyes, he really look like a fine gentleman in his twenties.

“Stand, Bermond.”

I gave a command to him as a royalty would. In response to my words, he bowed lightly and stood up. The knight, Bermond Griel Bloodpact, was the acting war marshal of the kingdom’s cavalry and a master of both the lance and sword.

Despite his age not having passed thirties, he was already considered as the strongest knight in the whole kingdom. As to why a strong knight like him was kneeling in front of me, it was because he was acting as my personal guard.

“Princess Camille, his Majesty the King is already waiting for your arrival.”

He spoke fluently in a deep baritone voice while still looking downwards. I shrugged my shoulders in response and started walking down the hallway. Our pace wasn’t fast enough to be called running but it also wasn’t as leisurely as walking.

At the end of the long corridor, a large imposing double-doors full of relief and engraving came to view. The two guards standing at both sides of the door stood in attention upon seeing me approach.

The large door silently swung open with not as much as a squeak. What greeted me was a long red carpet about two spans wide set from the entrance up to just below a slightly elevated throne. Dozens of fully armored knights stood in attention on both sides of the carpet.

Nobles of different ranks could be seen on the other side of the wall of knights. Various expressions were seen from their faces.

[The third princess, Camille Quaser Kabir has arrived!]

A loud voice that cannot be determined whether male or female announced my arrival. In respect, I walked down the red carpet up to just about far enough to the throne where my voice could be heard. Bermond who was behind me kneeled down a slight distance away.

I too kneeled down in the presence of the King, my father, himself, despite wearing a bubbly and frilly dress.

“At ease.”

My father said in a voice that doesn’t show his age. I bowed lightly and stood up, keeping my head lowered until allowed to.

“Raise your head.”