Ch. 32

Wolfclaw looked down at the gathering of cats beneath him. Night, the black she-cat, stood next to him. 

            "This is Wolfclaw from Riverclan," declared Night. "He is part of us now. We are your leader." The cats howled in protest but Night silenced them with a flick of her tail. "Do you not trust me?" The cats lowered their heads and mumbled to themselves. There were about twenty cats or more Wolfclaw counted. He was satisfied. It would be enough. 

            "We are going to find a new home," declared Night. "A home with our own food. Our own big territory where we can hunt wherever we like and raise kits."

           "But first, we need to kill the Riverclan cats," growled Wolfclaw. "They are not worthy to live there. We are." The cats yowled their agreement. Wolfclaw didn't expect it to be so easy. Theses cats really did love blood. He smiled contentedly. Then his thoughts flickered to Lilacsong and Berrytail and the kits... and the queens and elders. 

           "Once more thing," Wolfclaw quickly added, Night shot him a look. "You are not to hurt the elders, queens and their kits." He almost added "Lilacsong and Berrytail". He would have to find another way to warn them and keep them safe. A howl of protest grew and Night turned to Wolfclaw angrily. 

           "What do you think you're doing?" she growled. "If we take over Riverclan, they must all go." Wolfclaw shivered, he was taking this a bit too far. He just wanted revenge. But he couldn't go back now. 

           "They have kits," said Wolfclaw. "And if they agree to join us we will spare them. If they do not want to, then you may...kill them." Wolfclaw gulped. Night smiled with satisfaction. 

          "That makes sense," she said then turned to her cats and howled, "You will not kill! You will give them a chance to join us and if they don't slaughter them!" Shouts and yowls went up happily. Wolfclaw unsheathed his claws and dug them into the wood. He didn't want to kill all of Riverclan, just show them revenge, show them he was strong then live happily again. And he knew how loyal his Clanmates were, they would never surrender and join these rogues. They would rather die..., and they would die. Wolfclaw took a deep breath. You brought this to yourself, you cannot go back. He growled under his breath then nodded to Night and jumped down. He walked out, they would meet again the next day at dawn. As he walked down the grass away from the abandoned Twoleg nest. Onyx jumped out of the bramblebush and rushed over to him. 

            "What happened? I heard them shouting! I thought you were dead," cried Onyx, padding next to Wolfclaw. He waved his tail. 

            "It was nothing," he mumbled, deep in thought. He had found loyal cats that would fight for him... well, fight for Night anyways. He didn't need the kittypet anymore. Onyx was no more use to him. He thought about killing the cat but remembered the warrior code. He was still a Riverclan warrior, wasn't he? No, he wasn't. Bramblestar had exiled him, he was a rogue. He growled. He was not a Riverclan warrior anymore. He would get his revenge and they would become Rogueclan, the strongest clan. They would not need a warrior code. He leapt at Onyx and clawed his eyes. Onyx cried out in pain. He yowled and thrashed as Wolfclaw slashed him across the neck and watched as Onyx's strength faded. He was just a useless kittypet. 

            "Br-br," stuttered Onyx weakly. Wolfclaw smirked. "Bramblestar was right to ex-exil...." Onyx lay still, blood still pouring out from his wounds. Wolfclaw frowned. He had killed this cat out of cold blood. But this cat was no use to him. He shrugged and walked on. Onyx's words had stung Wolfclaw but he brushed it away. Bramblestar didn't deserve to be leader. Suddenly, a black cat slipped next to him. 

           "I didn't think you were so cold blooded," Night said, padding next to him. Wolfclaw growled and shrugged. 

           "I didn't need him anymore," he said. 

           "So when you don't need me or my cats, you'll throw us away?" she asked.

          "No, of course not," he snapped. 

           "I'm just kidding," she smiled. "Chill." He huffed and sighed. 

           "Why are you doing this? Willing to kill innocent cats, cats who were your family?" Night asked. 

           "What, getting cold feet are you?" Wolfclaw growled. 

          "No, I just want to make sure you won't do the same to us," Night explained calmly. 

          "Because my so called family betrayed me, they hated me since I was born...," He trailed off. "well..., my father did." 

           "So you want to kill all of them because of one cat?" asked Night. 

            "You don't get it," snapped Wolfclaw. "It's not that. He exiled me and all the other cats stood by and did nothing. Not even my mother..., or my mate." Night raised her eyebrows. 

           "Looks like you need to get a new mate," she smiled, eyes twinkling. Wolfclaw frowned. He had still been looking forward to a future with Lilacsong and kits. He thought harder. It wouldn't be possible. Not after what he was going to do to Riverclan. He might be able to save her but he felt certain she would always be loyal to Riverclan. But maybe, just maybe, she might choose him instead. 

           "I er, maybe," shrugged Wolfclaw. Night chuckled. 

           "Don't worry, we have time," she said, touching her tail to his shoulder, she slipped away.