.3.

"That's it?" Sam Wilson asked, blocking Peter's view of Strange's hastily drawn map in the sand. They were going to follow Wanda and Mantis' senses to find the 'centre soul'; the soul trapping everyone in this realm. If they could free this person, they would. Quill was adamant that they should kill them, as it would be faster.

Peter knew the man wasn't heartless, but he also knew he was heartbroken. Peter overheard him talking to Drax about a girl named Gamora. She wasn't there, so Quill said he knew she was dead. Peter felt bad for him, but didn't think that was a good reason to kill the person at the middle of all this.

"We will move out tomorrow." Black Panther - he had introduced himself to Peter as T'Challa - announced. No one disagreed, even Fury seemed to respect the King. "Peter, stay close to me." T'Challa said quietly, a hand on Peter's shoulder.

"Dr. Strange will be too busy guiding everyone to look out for you." Peter bristled at the explanation. "I can look after myself." He grumbled, knowing it was a childish argument. "I know, but it will be safer for everyone if we... buddy up?" T'Challa seemed at a loss for an explanation.

Not that the King would admit it, but Peter reminded him too much of Shuri. While he was glad Shuri wasn't there, he desperately hoped she was safe. He would keep Peter safe for Tony's sake, and for his own.

"Fine. That makes sense." Peter finally relented.

"Maybe it would be better if Peter stayed with me." Bucky suddenly interjected, though it hadn't seemed like he was eavesdropping. "No offense, T'Challa, but I have more experience with his type." Bucky had a fond smile that Peter was confused by. T'Challa thought for a moment before nodding.

"I will have my eye on you."

"Why does everyone think I need a babysitter?" Peter groaned, rolling his eyes dramatically.

He reminded Bucky so much of Steve before everything happened. Maybe he could protect this one.

Strang decided they didn't need food or sustenance, but found quickly they did need sleep. They took seperate watches, but no one really slept.

Peter quickly discovered that he was not ready for all the walking this trip entailed. Dr. Strange was trying to keep the time - ironically - but no one was really sure how time passed in the soul realm vs the real world. It seemed like weeks they had been walking every day. Peter's legs were so sore, he thought they would fall off.

Once or twice, Peter would ask Strange what day it was, and Strange would give him an approxamite timeline.

oOo

One month. They had walked steadily for a month. Finally, they reached the end of the crude city built by the civilians. Peter stared out at the open desolation and gave a shudder.

"Hey, it'll be ok. We'll just stay together." Bucky told him, patting his shoulder. Peter nodded and continued in Bucky's shadow. The two had become quite close throughout the journey.

"How big is this stupid zone?!" Quill growled, kicking at the grey sand angrily. Strange paused as he caught sight of the horizon. "Big enough to hold half the universe; it wasn't just Earth that was snapped." Peter peered around Bucky and Sam to see another city they were approaching.

This one was full of humanoid looking aliens. Peter hadn't even thought about the rest of the universe - which was stupid and selfish. A new wave of grief washed over him as he saw the distraught aliens tending to their makeshift homes built of sand and desperation.

"Oh my stars." Wanda breathed, shutting her eyes for a moment of respect. Peter blinked away a sting in his eyes as they continued. They stayed the night in the little city.

Peter didn't sleep that night. He laid awake on his sleeping matt that Bucky moved closer to his due to the 'unfamiliar city' and tried not to wake the former assassin. Peter stared at the bleak sky - it was harder to make roofs out of sand - that was the same shade of grey as the rest of this place. The only way you could tell it was night was by a speckling of dirty stars you could barely make out.

It was worse than a desert. It was bleak, and depressing, and alone.

Peter wished Tony was there, but immediately regretted the thought as a lump welled in his throat. He was 16 he wasn't going to cry over missing his mentor. He would be strong and find his way back to Tony.

Unsurprisingly, that didn't help. Peter's expression crumpled as he gave way to the quiet sobs making him shake. He tried to even his hiccups so he wouldn't wake anyone else, but his strong emotions didn't get past Mantis' powers. She sat up and looked at him with her soft expression, antenae giving off a warm glow.

"Are you alright, Peter?" She asked in a whisper, leaning over Drax to speak to him. Both knew from past experience that almost nothing could wake Drax.

"Yeah, I'm good." Peter rolled onto his side to face her and harshly rubbed his eyes. Everyone with him were kind and protective, so Peter knew they'd get out eventually, they had too. It still hurt, though, being away from Tony and May and them not knowing he was ok.

Mantis reached out and Peter met her halfway, knowing Mantis liked physical touch and it boosted her powers. He didn't mind, really, he was pretty much and open book anyways. Bucky really didn't like it, but Peter's eyes gave everything away so there was no point. Plus, Mantis would always make him feel better.

When Mantis squeezed his hand, Peter's world was flooded with soft yellows and blues, colors he hadn't seen since the snap. Mantis smiled sweetly at him. "Sleep." She instructed, and the colors were so soothing he couldn't see why not.

That night, Peter dreamed of him and Tony having breakfast in the compound before Happy would drive him to school and Ned and MJ would eat lunch with him and May would pick him up... and for some reason Mantis was always smiling at him in the background.

Alright so that was creepy/sweet at the end there...

thank you soooo much everyone for all of your support! I know it seems a little confusing right now since I myself don't fully know the rules of the Soul Realm soooo I'm winging it? Anyways hopefully it will all pull together in the end.

Some REALLY angsty chapters are ahead so buckle up buckaroos!

I don't know what that was... thanks for reading?

~Meow