A Newcomer

-??? POV-

"Young one... You need to know the truth... Your real father isn't on this planet... He's on a planet in the depths of space, a lush planet full of life! Go to him. Find out who you really are..."

————

I woke up in an odd room. I could hear a small 'ow' every now and again. I could see a blue ceiling above me. I could also see a red wall with a gold and purple railing to the right of my eye. When I sat up, I found that I was inside a dimly lit, red brick room. The 'ow' noises came from a flat vacuum that was running into walls on accident. Lastly, I saw a little girl looking at me. Her facial expression showed that of worry.

"You okay?" she asked me.

"Uh... I think so? Why am I here? All I remember is..."

That's the thing... What did I remember before I blacked out? Well, all I knew about the encounter was that I got lost from my own spaceship, lost all my oxygen, and blacked out after seeing a silhouette in space.

"...Little girl, did you save me?" I asked.

She nodded and smiled, pointing to the oxygen tank and nodding her head again. She was trying to tell me she had oxygen on this ship.

"Hey, I'm not gonna be rude and keep calling you kid all the time. Do you have a name?"

She pointed to her hat, then to herself. My guess was it had something to do with the word hat.

I thought for a moment "Cap Child?"

She shook her head and pointed frantically to her hat, then at herself again.

"...Hat...Kid?" I guessed.

She nodded and smiled, clapping her small hands. This child wasn't all that talkative, it seemed, but it was okay! I'm sure I'll learn her way of communicating soon enough.

"Um... Hat Kid, why is it so dark? Did it blow a circuit or something?"

She grabbed my arm and pulled me up, taking me to a monitor. It was up a ramp, and it showed that she had only one hourglass thingy. She looked upset, but then dragged me to a set of double doors.

Hat Kid then pressed a monitor near the doors with a tiny 'boop'. When she did, the entire spaceship began to light up!

"Oh! So the hourglass things are your power source?"

Hat Kid took me into the kitchen, showing me that a small telescope had been set up. It was a dark cyan and gold telescope that stood on a cerulean and white striped  circular rug. The kitchen tiles were a classic black and white, the walls having an ocean blue wallpaper on them. To my left was a shelf of various glasses with some trash cans by the shelving.

To the right of me was an appalling kitchen setup. A futuristic stove was to the left side of the kitchen area, with spruce cabinets and a sink stretching to the metallic refrigerator. On the counter, there was a toaster with some burnt toast popping out of it. In the sink's filthy water was a large pile of dirty dishes, almost touching the cabinets above the sink. It looked like they would fall at any moment if somebody touched them. There was also a plate of half-eaten spaghetti near the fridge. Did I dare look inside the fridge itself? No, not today.

"Hat Kid, what happened in here?! I-it's a mess! Do you mind if I clean it up?"

"Nuh-uh!" she shook her head and gave me a thumbs up, implying that I could clean her kitchen.

I smiled at her and looked inside the lower cabinets under the sink. Luckily, underneath the sink, there was dish soap, a scrub brush, and some cleaning spray. I asked her if there was a mop anywhere, and she pointed behind the fridge. I reached behind the fridge and found a mop and bucket, plus a broom.

I took the spray part of the sink and sprayed warm water inside the bucket, squeezing a couple drops of dish soap into the water. While I let it mix together, I began to sweep the floor. She watched intently, tiny 'ooh!' sounds sometimes coming from her. I just met her, and she's already too adorable!

When I finished sweeping, I dipped the mop into the soapy water and mopped the floor, making sure I got every single spot. I had to get under the rug, so I would lift up parts of it to mop underneath. After mopping, I dried the floor so Hat Kid wouldn't slip.

Next, I tackled the dishes. There were a lot of plates. Luckily, I had a bit of experience with this. Hat Kid mostly sat in the corner, playing with small dolls she'd pull out occasionally. I washed dish after dish, making sure every single one was scrubbed and dried properly before putting them away.

Finally, I cleaned all the food off of the counters with the help of Hat Kid holding a trash bag. The counter in front of the fridge held a microwave, plus a pile of toast and jam. I scraped off most of the jam toast and threw it away, using some hard scrubbing on the rest of it. Finally, the kitchen was clean.

I sighed and smiled at Hat Kid "Isn't that much better?"

She nodded, then pulled me to the telescope. I shrugged and looked through it. It was a town!

"Where is this? What do we need to do here?"

Hat Kid held up a drawing of herself and a blonde girl with a mustache. The two were beating up a large man in blue. The words up top said 'Down with the Mafia'. It seemed she was trying to say they were mean people who we needed to stop.

"So you want me to help you defeat the Mafia? And collect your hourglasses along the way?" I asked.

Hat kid nodded, and I laughed a little.

"Then count me in, Hat Kid! We've got a Mafia to stop! Oh, my name is Eli by the way! It's short for Elliot!"

She cheered and took me down to the exit deck, allowing me to suit back up and join her down in what was called 'Mafia Town'.