Chapter 3: Attacked

Stiles and I both watched as Allison quickly sat down, and awkwardly slouched over: she seemed embarrassed.

Scott turned to Stiles, and Stiles gave him a  thumbs up. Scott shrugged, and I giggled.

Stiles turned to look at me, and with a smiled said, "Something funny, new girl?"

Though, before I could answer my phone vibrated on my desk. It wasn't just my phone...everyone in the class's phones vibrated. I looked down.

From: Unknown Number:

The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds and the tranquil waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed somber under an overcast sky seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness.

Suddenly, the teacher walked into the room reading that very text, "This is the last line to the first book we are going to read, 'The Heart of Darkness'. It is also the last text you will receive in this class."

She smiled sheepishly at us, "Phones off everyone."

I turned my phone off and watched as she walked to the board and wrote her name. 

"I am your new teacher, Ms. Blake.Your first assignment is to write a 3.5 essay about your summer." Ms. Blake announced. 

We groaned. I quickly got out a piece paper, and began to write about my summer. As I stared at the blank parchment in front of me, I heard the crinkling of paper, and watched as Allison passed a note back to Scott. He snatched it fast, and read it then wrote back. As he scribbled on the paper, Principal Wheeler walked in, whispered something to Ms. Blake then practically ran out of the room. 

"Scott McCall." Ms. Blake said loudly. He looked up and she gestured for him to follow.

Scott leaped out of his seat and walked into the hallway with Ms. Blake.

I try to listened to their conversation, "-I don't want to see you slip back into old habits." Ms. Blake said. 

"I won't. It's going to be different this year." I heard Scott reply. 

"Resolutions are only good if you stick with them, Scott."

"I will. I promise I won't be a femoral." 

I could hear her laugh, and I could hear Scott's footsteps as he walked away.

Then, Ms. Blake came back into the room. She noticed that people had been talking while she was gone.

"Quiet Please." She yelled, then turned to the board. Once her back was turned, more whispering erupted.

"Hey, Lydia." I heard Stiles attempt to whisper, "What is that? Is that from the accident?"

"No, Prada bit me." A small voice whispered back to Stiles.

"Your dog?" Stiles asked.

"No, my designer handbag." Lydia snapped sarcastically. 

Stiles was silent

"Yes...my dog." She confessed. 

"Has she ever bit you before?"

I could guess that Lydia shook her head because Stiles said, "Okay then, what if it is the same thing with the deer? Like how animals start acting weird before and earthquake or something."

I flew back around so I can face Stiles. "Deer?"

"Yeah, a deer ran right through my windshield last night." Lydia responded.

"That's weird because a deer was trying to run into my car last night. We swerved at the last minute and missed it, but it started chasing after the car like we didn't give it what it wanted."