Chapter 4: Tattoo

Stiles and I stand at Scott’s side and watch as Derek stares at the place where Scott’s tattoo used to be. Derek’s eyes suddenly glowed a brilliant red, and I drew back. What was he? An Alien? A Vampire? Maybe...just maybe...he was like me. 

“Now I see it,” his red eyes vanished, “two bands right?”

He traces his fingers over Scott's arm.

Scott nods.

“What does it mean?” Derek asked curiously.

“I don’t know, ah, its just something I trace with my fingers.” He draws it on a broken dusty window pain.

“Well, that’s a stupid reason to get it tattooed on your body.” I stated.

"Yeah, I know." Stiles agrees.

Derek glared at us.

“Sorry, we'll just shut up now.” I say awkwardly. 

Derek continued, “Why is this so important to you?”

“Do you know what the word tattoo means?” Scott asks.

“To mark something.” Stiles said proudly to Derek.

“Well, that’s the Indonesian translation, but in Samoan it means 'open wound'. I knew I wanted to get a tattoo when I turned 18; I always wanted one. But I decided to get it now, to make it sort of like a reward.”

“For what?” Derek asked.

“For not calling or texting Allison all summer, even when I really wanted to, and even when, it was so hard not to sometimes."

“Aww...” I sigh.

All the boys look at me.

“Remind me again why she has to be here.” Derek questioned to Stiles.

“Just listen to Scott.” Stiles snapped.

“Sorry continue, Scott.” Derek said, glancing toward me.

“Well, I was just trying to give her the space she wants. And 4 months later it still hurts. It still feel like a-“

“Like an open wound.” Stiles finished.

“Yeah. Exactly like that...”

Derek reached over and grabbed the flame torch which was on the table. He smiled down at it. 

“The pain is going to be worse than anything you ever felt.” He says seriously.

“Ah, tha-that's great.” Stiles said shifting his feet.

“Do it.” Scott commanded toughly.

Derek nodded, "Okay."

Then he lit the torch. The flame was blue and shifted to orange at the top. It was beautiful.

“Oh wow, that’s, ah, that’s a lot for me, so, I’m going to take that as my cue.” Stiles blurted out.

“Nope.” Derek said, shaking his head at Stiles.

“I’m just going to wait outside.” Stiles says beginning to walk towards the hall.

“Nope. You’re going to help hold him down.” Derek says grabbing his shirt

Stiles’ eyes grow big, and his mouth drops open.

"Hol-Hold him d-down? You want me to hold down...Scott?"

I let out a little giggle, “You’re a wimp.”

"You should have seen him when I got the tattoo the first time! He passed out!" Scott laughed.