25

I was sitting by fire. Mr. Rodriguez was poking it. But his entire attention was on me. "You know we are almost out of our supplies?" he asked and I nodded. 

"if we cannot find them by tomorrow night we have to stop looking and move ahead if we don't want to die" Mr. Rodriguez said. I nodded again.

I cannot leave him like this. James I cannot leave him. He is my only friend midst of all this. "James please be alive. Please don't die on me. 

"Mr. Rodriguez I don't want to leave them here" I said. "Yes I know you don't Miss Davis." Mr. Rodriguez said.

Next morning I woke up in someone's arm. It wasn't hard to figure out that it was actually Mr. Rodriguez who was holding me to him. Ibrahim was awake as usual. His eyes and ears alert looking at his surroundings.

"You know that right little girl we have to go. Today is the last chance to find them?" Mr. Rodriguez asked. "Yes and we are going to do it. We are going to find them" I said with determination.

We started earlier to cover some more ground. "You have your guns with you right?" he asked. I nodded. "Don't hesitate to use it miss Davis because now we are in a very Dangerous area" Mr. Rodriguez said. "What is there some kind of animal?" I asked.

 "Humans are more dangerous than any animals Miss Davis. You should know that better than anyone" He said looking with his intense gaze.

He knows some secret and he is not telling me about it. I thought that there should be no secrets between us. But with a person like Mr. Rodriguez you can never be sure.

He is ice which the desert sun cannot melt. Another layer wrapped around him and it's getting thicker.

"You are hiding something from me Mr. Rodriguez" I said. "Some secrets meant to be kept hidden" He said. "But I thought there should be no secrets between us" I replied.

He looked me with his cold green eyes. "You are hiding things from me too Miss Davis" He said in an emotionless voice.

Before I could reply Ibrahim called us out. "Saheb" We ran towards the direction of his voice. "Ibrahim secure" Mr. Rodriguez commanded. "Yes Saheb". What I saw there was enough to let me know that we lost our chance to rescue them.

"we have no choice Miss Davis we have to move on from here before the thing that took them came looking for us" Mr. Rodriguez said. "what thing?" I asked. 

"I don't know yet could be anything we cannot trust the moving sands" Mr. Rodriguez said.

The camels were left huddle together and all the remaining crew was missing. "But" I protested. Mr. Rodriguez glared at me. 

"You are my responsibility and I am not letting you die in you foolish Venture Katherine. You are coming with me and that is final." He said pulling my wrist and waking towards Ibrahim.

"Leave me alone" I shouted. "Are you trying to test my patience Katherine?" He asked. "Leave me alone Mr. Rodriguez I can fine my own way" I said.

"You are signing your death sentence here Katherine" He said. "I know what I want to do and James..." But I never completed my sentence because his mouth captured mine.

I was shocked. He pulled me close and continued his assault on my lips. Then he pulled back.

"you are my responsibility little girl and I will not abandon you at any cost" He said and made me sit on his camel. "Let's go" He said. Ibrahim followed us. We travelled without resting for a day and half and I can see the oasis from far.