[ Chapter 8 ] Smell the Ashes

Beep..beep..beep..beep..

The sound of an electronic beeping was heard by Ritsuka.

She felt her body was lying down on something. Something soft. Every part of her body very stiff and numb. She fell anything in the slightest. Not to mention everything was still hazy in her mind.

Her eyelids were heavy, opening them would be painful. But she needed to know where she was. Light invaded her sight as she opened her eyes. It felt like she had been asleep for a long time.

Then, she could feel something was tugging on her arm, gripping it, even.

Soon, her vision would start to focus again, as the blaring light from earlier became less invasive of her sight. She tilted her head to look at what was holding onto her.

A lone girl, short and young, with long brown hair and blue eyes. It was Da Vinci, but she wasn't wearing her usual, happy expression. Instead, her eyes were welling with tears as she cried next to Ritsuka.

Ritsuka tried speaking, but realised she was being muffled by a mask covering her mouth and nose. But now that she was awake, she could at least say something.

"D....D..." Weakly, her voice was extremely soft, even failing to be heard by Ritsuka herself. But, Da Vinci did.

Da Vinci looked over to Ritsuka's face. Slightly shocked, but she knew what she had to do if Ritsuka was awake at last.

Almost immediately, she wiped her eyes clean of tears before walking over to the other side of Ritsuka, seemingly activating some machinery as the sound of clicks and buttons being pressed went off.

Then, Da Vinci took the mask off. Ritsuka breathed in the air around her. It was cold, but it wasn't like the battering cold of the snowstorms of the Chaldea [ Boundary Field ]. It was the regulated air conditioning of the [ Shadow Border ].

"Ritsuka! You're awake aren't you? Please, say something if you can." Da Vinci held up Ritsuka's hand, firmly holding it as her hands slightly trembled. She had her doubts about Ritsuka being fully awake, but she could only hope.

"Da...Vin..ci..?" Struggling to speak, she wanted to ask so many questions. But she was weak, her entire body was unresponsive, as if there wasn't a single ounce of strength in them.

"Oh thank goodness, you recognise me. Looks like the blood loss didn't damage your brain and memories too much." She sighs in relief. "Ritsuka, I know you have a lot of questions right now, but do you think you can summon Gilgamesh? You brought him with you right?"

Although she was physically weak, she could muster enough mental strength to call upon one of her Servants. But as to why it was Gilgamesh of all Servants that Da Vinci requested, she couldn't help but wonder why.

Taking slow breaths, her Magic Circuits started channelling her mana. A specific amount of it was needed to call upon any Servant and maintain their presence.

Slowly, but surely, magic particles started coalescing. Gilgamesh, the King of Heroes had slowly materialised from his spirit form.

Normally, he would always have a smug smile, a signature trait of his due to his obnoxious arrogance. But this time, he only had a look of disgust.

Eventually, his form would come into reality. He was wearing casual clothing with his hair down. It didn't make much sense for him to wear his invincible golden armour with his Master so severely weakened after all.

"Hmph, to think the day would come where I see you reduced to such a state." From Gil's point of view, Ritsuka was completely stripped naked, only covered by bandages around her stomach and a blanket on her bed. Several makeshift medical equipments were beside her, keeping track of her vitals and providing life support.