Four

Emerald
I walked to class. I always walked to class. I left home early in the morning so that I could walk and save costs. I would board the bus when I am late or when I return at night.
I found Sierra, Mia and Rebeka discussing something and I wondered what it was. When they saw me, Sierra and Rebeka smiled. Mia turned to look at her counter book as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.
"Sorry about last night," Sierra said and it took me by surprise. I wonder if she meant about the situation we found at home.
"She's a very adorable girl," Rebeka said. "My heart went out with her when I received her photo and heard she was lost."
That made me smile. They were talking about Diane after all.
"Yes," I said. "Thanks to all of you really."
"My boyfriend actually," Mia corrected me, without looking at me.
"It doesn't matter," Sierra said. "Does it, Mia?" She looked at Mia who shrugged. Sierra turned to look at me and smiled again. I smiled back.
Just then my best friend in college came to stand next to me. She was Natasha, but I called her Tata though everyone else but her family called her Sasha or Tasha. Her family called her Asha.
"Happy Birthday," I wished her smiling. It was her birthday and I even had a little gift for her. It wasn't much but it was all I could afford. I hope she saw through the message.
"Wow, its your birthday," Sierra said.
"Are you throwing a party?" Mia asked excitedly. She looked at Natasha. I knew Mia and her friends loved outing and partying.
Natasha hesitated. She wasn't throwing any party, but just like how I did die for a chance of being friends with Sierra, she did die for the same chance, especially being in the same group as these queens of the college.
I answered for her, "not this year. Things are too tight."
"What's a birthday without a party," Mia said, as if we had just proved ourselves to be kindergarten kids. "You two are out of life."
I crossed my arms. Who did this girl think she was?
"It can be sorted," I heard Natasha say. I turned to look at her. Okay, money wasn't a problem for her. She had lots and could get more.
"Now that's the spirit," Rebeka cheered. "What's the venue? Dress code? Time please? Invitation cards?"
Sierra laughed. "Relax you party lovers, she doesn't even know." She turned to Natasha, "but you know what, last minute parties are always rocking. We can help you organize it, so don't worry."
I could feel how Natasha wanted to burst with pleasure. She said, "yes, please."
And the three girls cheered.

***

For the rest of the day, it was like I was invisible to Natasha. She hardly said a word to me, let alone eat anything. Excitement was killing her. She was throwing a party that was being organized by the Queens themselves and it was almost killing her with pleasure. She hardly did a thing really. All of a sudden, there was a venue and the decorations and menu prepared and invitation cards ready and music ready and a dress code chosen and I heard they were taking her to try an outfit and to do her hair and make up and even had a date ready for her and so on and so on.
By the time they were done, I couldn't breath. It was as if I had been doing all those preparations. The good thing was, I got a card too.
I went home early that day to prepare myself. I knew that not a single one of my cloth will be a match for the fashionable queens that were attending the party. But I couldn't stay at home. Mother gave me the permission and I set up to dress myself. It was hard choosing what to wear, but eventually ended up on wearing a short khaki skirt, pink blouse and black stockings. I wore my pink slippers too and lightly put on make up. I looked at my reflection on the mirror. I hated who I was seeing. I knew I would not even fit on the background at the party but I gave myself hope. It doesn't matter what I look like, I thought. What matters is my presence.
I walked out of the room.
"Don't you have something else to wear?" that was mum's first question. It shattered my confidence.
"Does it matter, mum?" I asked her, acting strong.
"Yes," mother said. "It does."
I shook my head. Mother stood up from the couch and pulled me back to my room. She rummaged through my wardrobe and eventually threw me jeans.
"At least put on jeans," mum said.
Just then my phone rang. I looked at it. It was Natasha calling. I answered it.
"Tata," I said.
"Where the hell are you?" she asked. "The party has begun."
"I'm leaving home," I said. "Give me half an hour."
"Half an hour?" Natasha sounded surprised. "Take a taxi, Emmy."
"You know I can't-" I started to say.
She snapped, " that's none of my business."
She hang the call. My heart fell a bit. She wasn't like the Natasha my best friend, my Tata. She sounded more like them now, the queens. She sounded more like Mia, Amy and the others that I wasn't a favourite of. She wasn't my best friend anymore.
"Are you going to change or what?" Mum questioned.
I shook my head. "No, I'm cool."
I ran outside. A taxi was passing by. I stopped it. I had to do it for Natasha. Maybe she was just upset because I didn't keep track of time and I was really late. Maybe she expected me to be by her side always.
"How much is it to Double M hall?" I asked the taxi driver.
"Fifteen thousands," he replied.
I shouldn't do this. Fifteen thousands was the money I used for ten days. I shouldn't drain it now on a taxi. I tried to bargain, he was firm on his price.
"Okay," I agreed and got in the taxi.
I was at the hall in ten minutes only.
Outside was a lady in a purple short dress with a pure leather belt talking through the phone. Her leather spiked high heeled boots were amazing. She had on three pairs of earrings, the third being only studs. She turned around, and I swear if she was far,I couldn't have recognized her. She was Natasha, transformed from an ordinary college girl to a supermodel in a cover of the best fashion magazine.
"You look 'wow'" I said, still taking her in. I was completely speechless. She didn't reply to my compliment.
"Wait a minute," she said to whoever she was talking to. She cut the phone then crossed her arms. She didn't show that she was happy to see me. Her expression was as if she was surprised that I came yet disgusted by my presence.
"What is that you are wearing?" She asked, looking me up and down like trash.
Ouch.
"You can't be serious, Tata," I said, tears almost filling me. " I took a damn taxi to come here. And does it matter what I wear?"
"Oh please, Emerald" she said. "This is a no normal party. Sierra and all her groups are here, same with their guys. How can I introduce you as my best friend with that?."
She pointed at my outfit.
"I don't care what they will say," I said.
"I do," Natasha said. "Go change otherwise you aren't coming in."
Just then I saw a car I recognized stopping. Out stepped Mia and her boyfriend. Mia was dressed in a micro mini skirt and a top that showed her belly button out. Yet, she looked super sexy. Natasha waved at them with a happy smile.
"See, them," Natasha whispered.
The couple walked towards us.
"You are a queen, Tasha," Mia said as if she didn't see me. At least her boyfriend greeted me.
"Hello," he said.
"Hello," I greeted back. "Thanks about last night."
Mia interrupted us by asking me, "are you coming in?"
It was "are you coming in" and not "aren't you coming in". It meant I didn't fit in for the party.
"She's got an excuse," Natasha quickly said. She then turned to me and added while looking at me sternly, " I hope you can join us later, Emmy."
I swallowed a lump on my throat. I wanted to answer but I was afraid that if I open my mouth I would cry instead. I nodded, then forged a smile and turned around. I walked away. The moment I was far from the hall, I broke into a run. I hated the queens all of a sudden, and I hated Natasha too. I ran faster and faster. Tears flowed out as I ran. I hoped that no one from college would see me. It was only when I was tired that I chose to sit on a bench. I was out of town already, in the opposite direction of home. Here it was quieter and I knew no one would see me.
I was wrong.
Appeared from my direction came the hottest guy I had never seen. He was dressed in khaki jeans, white shirt, khaki coat and leather boots. He was hot, like really hot.
"Excuse me," he said. "Do you know where Bay City Flower shop is?"