Eight

Emerald
Natasha was avoiding me, I sensed that clearly. When I walked in class today, she was near the door but the moment she saw me, she turned away. It was as if she wasn't happy to see me. Indeed she wasn't. She took out her phone, dialed a number then moved away. I wasn't surprised when she went to sit next to Raiqa, an Asian girl who was the closest to Amy.
I didn't follow her. I went to take a seat at my usual spot. I could hear the other queens entering the class, their voices loud and clear. They screamed and hugged each other as if they hadn't seen each other for the whole year. I heard them congratulating Natasha, praising them for throwing such a wonderful party. They said they did enjoy. I could almost see how that gave Natasha such a big head. After all, this was almost a dream come true for her. She had always died to be in the same group as those girls, and now, they were.
"Hello Emerald," I heard a voice greet me. I knew it straight away. It was Sierra.
I looked up with the best smile. "Sierra."
"I didn't see you last night," Sierra told me. "Was everything alright? Tasha said she couldn't reach you."
I wondered why Natasha chose that lie, a lie that meant the blame is all mine.
"I wasn't feeling my best," I said.
"Oh, I'm sorry," she said sadly. "It was rocking. I'm sad you missed it."
I shrugged.
Sierra pulled a chair and sat down.
"Why don't you come to dinner today?" I asked. I knew daddy wouldn't be home. He only came once in months.
"Yes, sure," she said. "I've got no where else to go."
My heart leapt with pleasure. Some time ago, the thought of asking her to dinner almost killed me, but now it didn't seem that hard.
I smiled again. "Wow, that will be such a honor really."
She laughed. She was beautiful. I wondered who her boyfriend was. I knew he deserved someone extraordinary, someone like the guy I met last night.
At the thought of him, my heart gripped. I needed that man and I knew it would kill me to see him with another girl. But he seemed so amazingly beautiful to be mine for real. The thought of me and him was like a beautiful sweet lie. Sadness overcame me.
"Are you okay?" Sierra asked.
I faked a smile. I blamed myself for letting my feelings show clearly on the face.
"Yes," I said, "its only-" I hesitated. I didn't want to tell her about him. He seemed so special.
"Tell me," she said. She touched my hand and looked at me straight in my eyes.
I looked away.
"I can help," she said. "Even if its only with advises."
I sighed. It was hard to refuse Sierra anything.
"There is a guy," I said.
"Wow," she said brightening up. "I knew there is a guy."
It surprised me. "Do you talk about me?"
"Not that much," she replied. "Natasha was telling us about you last night, she said you never had a guy before. Isn't it weird, about your age, never got out of the single zone."
That annoyed me. Who the hell did Natasha thought she was? Being with the queens for just a day made her think that she was an empress already.
I crossed my arms, lying back on the chair.
It's only temporary, Natasha, I thought. They will get tired of you and ditch you. It happened to girls before you, and it will happen to you, just wait and see.
"Don't take it wrongly," Sierra said. "Now tell me about the guy, is he cute?"
"Does it matter?" I asked cuttingly.
"No," she answered. "I just wanted a little details. How did you meet? Did you do anything yet, like kiss?"
I wish we did, I thought. I said, " we only just met, and there's nothing special. I don't even know if we will ever meet again. He didn't even take my number." My voice sounded super hurt. That was the truth. If he loved me, he would have even asked  for my number.
Wasn't it obvious that he liked me not? Maybe everything that happened last night was because he found me crying and wanted to make me feel good, just a bit. Yes, I felt my best last night but I swore that I would be heartbroken for the rest of my life. That guy, Leon was my first love and last love. Even if I lived to be a hundred years old, he would forever be in my mind. I would never ever get over him, I was sure of that.
"Why didn't you-" Sierra began to ask. She was distracted by Mia's voice saying, "let's go to our spot."
We looked up. They were there, eight of them girls, Natasha being the eighth girl.
"Okay," Sierra said standing up. She turned to look at me and said, "you can join us, Emerald."
I was about to agree, but the looks on Mia, Amy, Natasha and some others were deadly enough to let a troop of soldiers retreat on a war for their country.
"I'm kind of busy right now," I said, faking a smile. "I'll catch up later. I promise."
"Okay," Sierra said. She turned around then walked away, behind her a group of bitches following. I was only sorry that Natasha joined that group.
I sighed and started reading a book. To say the truth, nothing made sense. I couldn't concentrate. I didn't know why I felt my life breaking apart.
Was it because of that gorgeous guy I saw last night? I asked myself. Or was it because of Natasha?
I closed my book and took out the phone. I had no idea who to call. I wondered for like a hundred times why I wasn't madly in love with Daniel, a man who wasn't out of reach, and who I was sure loved me too. Why on earth did I come to fall madly in love with a guy who I didn't even know where he was now.
A girl I had never seen before sat where Sierra had sat. She made me jump out of my thoughts.
"Hello," she said smiling.
"Hey," I said, smiling back. "How are you doing?"
"I'm good," she said. "You are friendly."
I laughed. She was friendly too. "That's just me."
"I'm Milan," she introduced herself. There was something weird about her accent. With it I couldn't exactly figure out where she was coming from.
I decided to be open. "You have a unique accent."
She smiled and said, "is it obvious that I'm new to this city?"
"So you don't go to this uni?" I questioned.
She shook her head and said. "Wish I was. I don't go to uni." She looked at me and shrugged. "I work at a certain place, I'll be here for just a few days. I'm looking for customers."
"What do you do?" I asked.
"I design clothes," she answered. She stood up suddenly and ran to stand next to me. It was then when I noticed her super sexy high waisted stripped green jeans whose lose threads were navy blue and black. The waist of her jeans were decorated with a leather belt and modest beads. She had a top of brown, and it matched with her spiked brown boots of pure leather.
"I've never seen anything like that in the shops," I admitted. Maybe the truth was that I had never visited big shops, especially those owned by famous designers.
She sat back down smiling. She said, "I designed it myself. Tell me you like it."
"I liked it not," I said. "I loved it."
She smiled even wider. I liked this girl already.
"How about I come over to your place tonight or any other night," she told me. "Or any time that you please. I can show you my designs, and maybe, we can transform your wardrobe together."
I couldn't believe it. I wanted to do that. I wanted my wardrobe transformed. My heart fell when I thought of the costs.
"Won't it be too much?" I asked.
She shook her head. "I'll take care of the costs. You will be my first model."
Being a model was a dream come true. I loved being the girl on the spotlight, that's why I took media, hoping that I would soon be appearing in television and magazines. The thing was, with how competitive the world was, I doubted if I would get the chance I needed.
Maybe this will be a step for me, I thought. I shouldn't waste this chance.
With designs like this, I knew that one day this girl would be a popular fashion designer. It would be amazing knowing that I had worked for her, that I took a small part in her success.
"I agree," I said. "We can go, like straight after class."