Chapter 29: Brilliant Lights and Vibrant Colors

It was still snowing.

Lin Qian stared at the tiny snowflakes that had accumulated on the man's head and shoulders; her heart beat so quickly she thought it might pop out of her chest.

What is he doing?

Crossing the ocean on New Year's Eve, appearing in front of her, giving her a lantern, walking away with her without a word while holding hands—it was as though they were eloping. And as the person being blindlessly dragged along, she was a little confused about the situation.

Thinking it over, it wouldn't be difficult for him to find her. She only had two emergency contacts listed on her employee personal profile: one was her best friend in the entire country, and the other was her brother. His address was included too.

As for a US Visa... Well, not long ago during a board meeting, Xue Mingtao had suggested for Li Zhicheng to visit Europe and the Americas for an educational trip; he would be able to gain experience from other excellent suitcase enterprises. Li Zhicheng had answered, "Let's discuss this another day." But after that Lin Qian had no longer been his assistant, so she was unfamiliar with his schedule—it was possible he had gotten his Visa after her departure.

Lin Qian turned her gaze to their hands again. His hand was coarse and strong, warmly clutching hers. Her pulse was racing even faster than his firm steps were.

"Mr. Li, please let go of my hand."

At this time both of them had reached a fountain outside of the hotel. The surrounding area was quiet and cold. The pedestrians were few; a couple was kissing beside the sparkling waters of the fountain.

Li Zhicheng paused in his step; at the same time he let go of her hand, turned around and looked at her.

As soon as Lin Qian's hand—which had been tightly held by him for a long time—regained its freedom, her heart felt relieved. She couldn't make out her own feelings anymore. She quickly stuffed her hands into her pockets, but their soft warmth didn't feel like anything. His tight grip and warmth were both still lingering on her skin.

Standing beneath the streetlights of Manhattan, Lin Qian dreamily stared at the surreal figure of Li Zhicheng. He was not in a suit today. His black collar was up. His figure was slender and cold as usual, his profile handsome and distinct. He was gazing at her with his deep, dark eyes, the same silent gaze that always made her heart jolt.

"Lin Qian," he said, his voice slow and deep. "I just had the sudden urge to come and see you. You don't have to feel pressured."

Lin Qian lowered her gaze, staring at his feet, avoiding his eyes.

HOW. COULD. I. NOT. FEEL. PRESSURED?

Was it true that women were naturally vain creatures? Considering his feelings for her and that his mind was shrewd and deep, this trip of his was certainly a step to further conquer her heart. However, considering he was a CEO who had once been a restrained soldier, was someone who had apparently never left the country before, had just given up his new year to come all the way to the United States for her... She felt a surge of tenderness and sweetness in her heart. But beneath that sweetness, she vaguely sensed a hint of danger.

That dangerous scent belonged to this man.

As compared to Lin Qian's thoughts whirling wildly, Li Zhicheng's heart was much more calm and steady.

He stood under the light, carefully admiring the woman in front of him.

Contrasting with her usual neat and professional outfits at the office, she looked like the girl-next-door now in a light-colored hoodie layered with a down feather vest. She was also wearing a simple pair of dark blue jeans. The everyday attire couldn't hide her elegance. She looked stylish.