New Beginnings

Since Donnas passing I hadn't experienced pain like I did when arriving in Vegas. Mixed feeling came surfacing through my body, I had left my daughter before but this is the first time felt really badly about leaving my granddaughter. When I got to the offices of the record company I had a really heated argument with my producers. They said that it was wrong of me to do what I did but I had enough regret in me for leaving my daughter the first time, it was never going to happen again.

No one expected me to say that as soon as I finished the tour, I decided to leave for good. Every one asked me why but I just said it was none of their business. When the tour began, everything seems to go as planned. Being a glamorous diva was part of my performance. Off stage, I was really harsh to most of the staff. I was still angry at the record company for threatening my career if I didn't finish the tour. That was so unlike me that even shocked myself; the only thing that kept my feet on the ground was an every night call I got from Fernando.

He kept me calm every day through this whole mess and said he couldn't wait to hold me again. Neither could I. We kept our calls a secret from everybody since Sophie was still mad at me, Can't blame her leaving without saying a word. Fernando tells me that for the first few weeks since I left, she kept asking about our relationship but all he says is "When Ruby gets back, we will tell you everything you need to know". That she highly doubted but I was sure to keep my promise. Eventually she stopped asking probably convinced that I wasn't coming back.

The tour went on longer than I expected. I had missed most on Sophie's pregnancy and it broke my heart. Luckily Donnas best friends, Tanya and Rosie were there to help and care for her as Fernando managed the hotel. Those two women were never very fond of me or me of them but I couldn't care less, the important thing was that someone was with my granddaughter and great grandchild.

Nine months of touring all over America and being away from my family were making me irritable. The company had tried to give me ideas for new shows in the future and persuade me to continue in the business but it was not working. I like all the glamour, traveling, showing off and sing but I had made my decision to return to the ones I love. Getting everything ready to go back to Greece, much to the producer's dislike, I got the night call from the man I love and dearly missed.

"Hello?" I answered

"Ruby, mi amor" he said with his deep voice that sent shivers down my spine every time.

"Fernando, I miss you so much. I'm getting ready to go to Greece tomorrow. My agent hates me but I don't care. I want to see you again and be close to Soph"

"I miss you too, and speaking of Sophie I got some news" He said and I held my breath. It's been nine months already, the baby must have been born.

"It's a baby boy, he was born last night" my face lighted up like a spotlight and a big grin turn in my face. This got me all excited

"Oh dear! That's so great. Can't wait to meet him" I say

"She wants to present him tomorrow to all her loved one and I am sure that you being there would be the best thing"

"I promised to return, I'll be there" we said our goodbyes and I started quickly packing. The next morning I was on a helicopter going the island to see my family now completed. As I reached the shore I saw a man standing there looking at me, instantly knew it was Fernando and my heart started going faster by the second. My thoughts wondered to Sophie and all the things that needed an explanation. How was I going to tell her that Fernando was her grandfather and our whole love story?

When the helicopter landed and I got out, Fernando had me in his arms without hesitation. We looked into each other's eyes. Last thing I knew we were kissing with the same passion as our first encounter nine months ago after fifty years. Holding each other, afraid to let go he whispers "I knew you'd make it"