Chapter 40: Paediatrics

Sammy is a 3-year-old boy and a social admission. He's in hospital not because he's ill, but rather because he has nobody to look after him. His mum is in jail and his father is nowhere to be seen (I have a feeling the dad never had a presence in Sammy's short life).

Sammy's been looked after by an aunt up until this point, but because of conflict between the aunt and another relative about Sammy's childcare and money, both of them decide they should no longer be looking after him.

Sammy's a bright, sunny-natured boy with poor articulation -- his words are mashed together and he talks like a 2-year-old. We suspect it's because he doesn't have many people talking to him at home. He's clingy to all the staff and follows the nurses around like a duckling, happy to stick to whoever will pay attention to him.

I lent him my pen and he attaches it to the front of his collar like me. We now call him "Doctor Sammy" and ask if he wants to go on the ward round. He says yes. We then ask him if he wants to do the discharge summaries. He says no and giggles.

I hope he gets adopted soon and to a good family. He's too precious a soul and I'm so worried he'd be forgotten in the system and grow up to be bitter, alone, and not have the bright future he so deserves.