II

The memories of the war clung to Viktoriya like a straight jacket, holding her captive against anything she could do. Viktoriya was employed, but working in a cafe was not the best job in terms of income. However with that being supplemented with the military discharge bonus and veterans pay, Tanya and Visha were able to live quite comfortably.

Ironic. The war hero, Tanya Von Fucking Degurechaff was unemployed. It had been months since she tried anything like a simple spell, years since she handled a computation orb. She couldn't dance anymore.

Tanya looked at the case with her medal in it. She knew full well what else was in that case, she just didn't want to see now. She had gotten rusty.

Looking at a letter from her old second in command, Matheus Weiss, she read over the plea to return, and the tales of the other leaders of the 203rd, and how they were turning up around headquarters.

"Viktoriya. They will be coming for us soon. Get what you need packed. It may be a day or a week. They will return."

"Tanya... are you sure? I just.. worry.. will you be ok?" Viktoriya looked down at Tanya from the top of the stairs.

"I will be fine Viktoriya. I will make sure we remain together. I swear." Tanya felt that old spark of leadership flicker like an ember. She was getting too into it.

Mustering her courage, she walked to the back of the stairs, through the small door, into the basement. On a rack sat several firearms.

Viktoriya's Gewehr 43
Tanya's Gewehr 43
Tanya's Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr
And finally, Tanya's SIG MKMS

Tanya looked at each of the guns. Viktoriya had placed a constant stasis spell upon the weapons, so they would remain in a good condition.

Taking her old rifle from the rack, she felt the stasis spell fade as she summoned her own magic, pouring it into the weapon slowly. She was careful not to overload the weapon, which would have the high possibility of backfiring in her face, which could kill her as easily as it could level the house.

Tanya raised the rifle to her shoulder, peering down the iron sights at the simple target painted on the wall.

Bang.

The rifle recoiled, the jarring shock going right through Tanya's shoulder, causing her to drop the gun with a clatter.

Cursing herself, Tanya pick up the gun again and aim at the wall.

Bang.

The rifle doesn't fall, remaining barely in Tanya's arms. Making a noise of disgust, Tanya reshoulders the rifle and tugs the trigger once more

Bang

Clatter

A louder noise of frustration.

Bang

Bang

Clatter

A cry of rage

Bang

Bang

Clatter

A savage howl of anger

In a fit of rage, Tanya shoulders the rifle for the  final time, magic essence literally burning off her.

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Panting. Standing out of breath, panting heavily, Tanya stares at the neat cluster of round in the wall.

Clatter

The rifle drops, a cry of furious satisfaction filling the room

———————————

The noise of marching boots drowned out the noise of the rifle discharging, the latter falling silent mere seconds before a heavy knock at the door.

Erich Von Rerugen watched the door open, opening his mouth, taking a breath and beginning to speak. "Tan-"

A different girl greets him. Viktoriya in her service uniform. A number of things rushed through the man's head, an indignant cry of shock escaping his lips. "No!"

The men standing behind him gain a confused expression, Viktoriya mimicking it. "Uh.. good morning sir. Major Degurechaff will be out shortly. She asked me to give you this.."

Viktoriya pushes a large trunk out the door. "She said it shouldnt be too much for you boys to handle."

Erich looked at the trunk, then turned his head to closest of his men, both of whom seemed entirely unwilling to lift the trunk.

A sharp nod set them men in motion, picking it up and, with very red expressions, awkwardly carrying it towards the headquarters of the ministry.

A rhythmic noise approaches the door. Tanya Von Degurechaff. Standing at 5'6, with a similar hair style to before she left the military, bright blue eyes, a decently sized chest and a curvy figure figure, both facts for which he chastised himself for noticing, and a firm expression. The rifle on her back and the military garb she was dressed in both solidified the image.

Tanya and Erich shared a firm look. They both knew what was coming. This new Reich that had overthrown the Kaiser was leading to one thing only. War. And god was she going to be needed

Silently, Tanya and Viktoriya both fell in line, locked their house, and left for the imperial war academy.

Erich knew one thing that day.

The Ardent was coming home