Chapter 6 - The Cold Realization

Rachel Roth -

On our way to the checkpoint at the food court, I see a familiar face walk behind us. Omg, no way! It was a childhood friend of mine. We were best friends until she moved away and lost contact.

"Jenny?" She looks in my direction and a crazy smile spread across her face. She ran over to us and crashed into me for a hug.

"Omg it's been forever, how have you been Rachel? Or should I say Raven." She playfully bumped my hip for me to remember our nicknames for each other.

"I've been good, I'm going to college here to train my powers. What about you, jinx." I bumped her hip back.

"No way, I'm going to a college here to do the same thing!"

"Jump City College for Special Talents?" I ask hoping I'll see her when school starts.

"Omg yes!" She yells happily hugging me. I then looked at Kori who was confused but still had a smile on.

"Oh I'm sorry Kori, this is Jenny, a friend of mine since we were little but then she moved away in high school."

"Hi, I'm Jenny. Nice to see that Rachel is actually making friends."

"Hey!" We all giggle at Jenny's comment. We talked about our life in high school, how hard it was that we were all different, I feel bad for Kori, she was bullied by mean girls because of the way she talks. We talked for what felt like only a few minutes. I pulled out my phone to get Jenny's number and freeze at the time.

"Oh fuck! I got to go Jenny, I was supposed to be at the food court a while ago to meet up with the boys." I took a picture of her number so I can add her later.

"I'll text you when I get home I promise!" I yell back at her as Kori and I run off.

"Bye Rachel!" I hear her voice in the distance.

As we get to our meeting place I see a bored Dick and a panicked Garfield. Dick sees us and walks over, leaving Garfield behind without noticing. I walked over to Garfield and heard him worry over us. I grabbed his hand before he walked off.

"Dick don't hold me back, I'm worried about the girls, there not here." He said angrily. He turned around to face me and his face completely changed. He went from angry to relief and joy. He wrapped his arms around me and sighed in relief. "Geez Rachel, you had me worried thinking something was wrong." I was stiff as he hugged me. He let go and nervously backed away and scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "How about we don't split up after lunch." He looked embarrassed saying it.

"That's fine," I said in my monotone voice, "what do you want to eat."

"Let's look around." He pointed at Dick and Kori already running off to get food.

(10 minutes later)

We were all seated with our food. I had a bottle of water since there was no tea and a salad because I didn't feel like eating much. Garfield had a salad as well because he doesn't eat meat. I asked why and he said that it was like eating what he becomes. I haven't really seen Garfield use his powers so I don't know what he can do, but from what he said I have my guesses. After lunch we all looked around other stores. Garfield bought some clothes for when it gets cold. He also got a red and white jacket that he put on after buying it, it looked good on him. Red and white was definitely his colours. Kori told me I should buy this purple hoodie that had short sleeves and was also kinda a crop top. I bought a black long sleeved crop top to go underneath and it was a cute look. I also got the normal, jeans and tights, sweatpants, sweaters, whatever. It was now 4:40, probably a good time to leave. We head to the doors leading outside of the mall and instantly regret it. It was freezing cold, HOW? It was a little chilly this morning but not this cold.

"Holy shit it's cold." Garfield said, holding himself tight. Poor Gar. An idea pops to mind to help myself and the others.

"We just bought clothes for this kind of weather, why don't we just change in the mall bathroom." I say in a monotone voice "Come Kori, lets go change."

"Ok, we will do the same." Dick said in response heading to the boys bathroom with Garfield.

(15 minutes later)

"Rachel! Stop the car please!" I was startled and pulled the car over. Kori jumped out of the car and ran to the distance. I parked the car and all of us went after her. What was going on?! We see Kori hanging upside down from monkey bars laughing. Really, you almost gave me a heart attack for a park. Dick walked up to her as I leaned on a short wall near the park. I'm not making a fool of myself at a kids play area. I saw Garfield walk over to me and jump on top of the ledge I was against. Kori was still upside down and Dick was standing underneath her. They were cute together, they'd make a cute couple. Their faces weren't that far apart, and at a certain angle they would look like they're kissing. It was really quiet, I should probably start a conversation with Garfield to break the silence, but what would I say.

"They look like a cute couple, don't they." Garfield said moving his eyes from them to me. That was what I was thinking not too long ago.

"Yeah, I bet they'll end up together. Sooner or later." I said sneaking quick looks at him but he doesn't seem to notice.

"Ha, I don't know. Dick is probably going to be a pussy and not tell her because he doesn't want to get rejected." His laugh was short but still charming. Wait what, no he's not...whatever. I rubbed my freezing hands together. He watched me do so and grabbed my hand. "You cold, Rachel? I can warm you up." He put my hand on his red cheeks. I was shocked and felt like I couldn't move. I started to feel really hot in my clothes. He moved my hand off his cheek and kissed my hand. I felt my face go red in seconds. I felt so embarrassed for being wooed over this easily. I pulled my hand away and pulled up my hood. I wasn't cold any more, I felt the opposite to that but I didn't want him to see my face. I was embarrassed enough. I heard him giggle and jump off the wall. Was this a game to him? Make me feel embarrassed then laugh at me. Ugh, that ass hole. Why do I feel this way? He's a green annoying boy always getting on my nerves. Although there was a different side to him. He was kind to me, treated me well, funny even if I don't want to laugh at his dumb jokes. He also acted like a cute little kid at times, and was good looking, well maybe more than good looking but I would never tell him that. Ugh fine maybe I do like his annoying ass a little.