You're Worth It

It was a strange occurrence that neither of them could explain—or understand. The universe had driven them together, pulled them apart, and yet every time it seemed to give them obstacle over obstacle, they always survived together. Without one, there wasn't the other; something they had to learn for themselves. This one, however, was different, and Tandy wasn't sure Ty and the universe together could save them; save her. Tandy had no recollection of how it happened, what she felt, but allowed the chill in the air to keep her awake as she sat on top a vacant building, staring at the broken down Roxxon sign with disdain. Tandy knew she'd gotten drunk more than a few times when living in the church, but she could never do something to this extent. Knowing the sunlight would be up shortly, she tried to find her way off safely, but there was no possible way down without dying or hanging onto the string of life so closely. She didn't have her phone on her either, but she supposed it'd be quite a story to explain to her mother...even Ty. A feeling of discontent and fear crept inside her, like vines so violently planting themselves in the soil to flourish. Praying that some type of miracle would be brought upon her, she slid off the building, losing grip quickly. Tandy screamed, feeling her life flash by before her eyes before her sight was filled with a creeping black fog, revealing light just seconds later. She was in bed, tucked in just like she was before she'd fallen asleep, but Tandy refused to believe it was a dream; it felt too real to be a dream.

"Tandy, hurry! You don't wanna be late for your job interview." Melissa shouted, the clashing of bowls evident from the kitchen.

"Shit," Tandy mumbled, not knowing if she'd be able to calm herself down in time.

Rolling out of bed, she lazily picked out her best clothing, applying a minimal amount of makeup to her sleep-deprived face.

"You're really going to go like that?"

"Gee, thanks mom; really feeling the love and support."

"How about I do your makeup once you're done eating?"

"How about I just don't do this interview? I'm not feeling so good about it."

"That's not what you told me last night, you told me you were ready to have a change, a new attitude towards life!"

"Yeah, well, that was last night, wasn't it?" Tandy murmured, hushing herself by shoving the rest of the bland cereal in her mouth. "Hey, mom?"

"What honey?"

"Have you ever had a near-death experience?" Tandy inquired, shuffling her spoon tactlessly around the bowl while her mother thought.

"No, why do you ask?"

"No reason...was just curious I guess. Well, you're not gonna let me not go, are you?"

"You've come too far, of course not. Now go get your makeup and let me fix you up a bit."

Tandy obeyed her mother, even though her mind wanted to do everything but. She wished she was out on the streets, taking a walk to clear her mind and get to the bottom of what she'd been through just minutes before. Batting her eyes, she walked into the bathroom, but she wasn't there. Instead, she was on the streets, crowded among teens and adults alike quick to get to their jobs. One thing was for sure—she was a long way from home, in a city she couldn't quite recognize, but it felt somewhat nostalgic.

"Hey, excuse me!" Tandy shouted, sprinting towards a woman who looked the most approachable out of anyone she'd seen. "Where am I?"

The woman scoffed at her, turning away. "If this is a prank, I'm not interested. If you're drunk or high, you won't remember."

"And if I'm telling the truth?"

"Then I have to ask how you don't know where you are."

"Took the wrong bus, fell asleep." Tandy lied, grabbing the woman's attention once more.