Chapter 04

- But then, is it all his fault that everything bad happens all over the world? - Chester questioned when they had come to the subject about the bad things that happen every day, Michael had mentioned that he learned from his family that it was all the fault of an evil being called The Devil.

- Yes. My family says that it is.

- And what do you think, Michael? - Chester asked, he really wanted to know the angel's personal opinion, not just what he heard in heaven. Of course they said horrible things about him, they were his enemies. Deep down, the man just didn't want to find out that Michael also hated him, he didn't want to hear in all letters that the boy wanted him away or that he disliked him. That would be awful to hear.

- I ... huh ... I think so. It's his fault. He is cruel.

Chester sighed sadly, he wasn't beaten yet, he wasn't going to give up so easy, but the boy's comment made him see how difficult that would be. The man continued stroking the boy's hair, and Michael was feeling protected. He turned to the side, crouched like a child, still with his head on Chester's lap.

- But have you talked to him yet? You know, to know if he's really so ... cruel?

- What? Talk to the devil? - Michael laughed innocently at the thought. He would never talk to the devil, that's crazy. - Never! That would be a sin. And even if he is good at conversation, which I doubt, he would still be the King of the Sinners.

- Well, I have a different view. Look ... This ... You know, this man, the devil, he was banished from the heaven right? He was banished from his home. He was forced to stay in hell and torture all sinners. Do you think he chose that? To be hated by all? Be guilty of everything? No one chooses how it's going to be born or what it's going to happen. It's not like he has somewhere to go beyond hell. He no longer had a home or a family. He was alone.

- So now you're protecting him? - Michael laughed softly, but he was nervous. Everything his friend said made some kind of sense, and he was starting to think about re-thinking his beliefs, but he didn't really want to do it, he felt like betraying his Father. He was scared if anyone found out.

- Not exactly. I'm just saying he didn't choose that. Yeah, maybe he likes to torture souls, but that's what's left to him, Michael! People are afraid of him! He can't say his real name because if he does, people run! He's obviously very lonely. And other than that ... He may just be misunderstood. We don't really know. - Chester might have been talking too much, but he didn't really care. In fact, some of these indirect were deliberate, but of course he didn't fully believe that the boy would understand them anyway. The boy was just too naive.

- But ... but torturing is wrong, he could ... he could change, right? He could stop torturing innocent souls.

- Innocent, Michael? People who go to hell are bad. He just tortures bad people. Yeah, every now and then he might scare a good person just for fun, but... - Chester laughed nervously, remembering how much the boy was scared that day at the hospital. In his defense, the boy was an angel, and angels are enemies. The question that still lingered in Chester's mind was: Can Michael still be considered an enemy? - What I'm trying to say is that he tortures bad souls. Rapists, murderers, thieves. They deserve to be tortured, don't you think? A murderer who kills someone in your family doesn't deserve torture? They are just paying for their sins. The devil is just... doing justice.

- ... I... Don't... Don't you think he makes people do bad things? - Michael asked. He was starting to get very lost.

- Do you think he could whisper in the ear of 7 billion people every day, every single minute, bad things to induce them to sin? Not even the devil makes such a big deal about anyone going to hell to waste this much of time whispering, come on. - Chester laughed ironically.