13 | Cecilia's Wolf

Cecilia

I woke up early the next morning, ready to spend the day with Jackson. I didn't know where we were going and I really didn't care. I just wanted to spend time with my werewolf and get out of this house.

I glanced back at Xavier, sleeping peacefully on the floor. We'd stayed up late watching movies and catching up last night, but he'd fallen off the bed around two in the morning. I'd been surprised that he didn't wake up, but covered him with a blanket and tossed down a pillow in case he woke up and wanted one. He was currently curled up with it, sleeping like the dead.

I giggled quietly and turned back to my closet. I picked out a pair of dark, form-fitting jeans and a pastel purple blouse. I didn't know where we were going, so I went with casual. Grabbing some undergarments, I headed for the shower.

When I was squeaky clean, I got out and dressed. I added a bit of mousse to my hair to reduce the frizz when it dried, and headed back for my room to see if Xavier was up or if he was going to sleep through me leaving with Jackson. I was hoping for the latter.

Before I could make it, the doorbell rang downstairs and I changed course, skipping down the last few stairs as excitement to see Jackson put some extra pep in my step. I yanked open the door, a wide, welcoming grin on my face, only to find a very tense and very worried Jackson awaiting me. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

When he saw me, his face relaxed in relief and he yanked me forcefully into his arms, looking around the yard and into the house suspiciously. Apparently finding nothing there, he leaned down and sniffed me.

He pulled away again and looked me straight in the eyes, his expression serious. "Why do you and your house smell like vampire?" He spit the word in the same manner and tone as Xavier had when talking about werewolves the night before.

I rolled my eyes and he growled at me.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Cecilia. This is serious; answer my question!"

"My cousin Xavier is staying with us for a while," I replied. "We were really close when we were younger. He's a vampire, and he's the one that saved me from Bane last night." I had hinted that Xavier had been turned, but I hadn't actually said it and lied to him. My conscience was clear. Kind of. Oh, who was I kidding, it was as muddy as a swamp, but Jackson couldn't find out that I had vampire genes. I wouldn't be able to handle it if he hated me. I was becoming far too attached to him for that.

Jackson closed his eyes and took a deep, calming breath. When he opened his eyes, they stilled showed worry, but the anger was gone. At least until he got a good look at my face. "What the hell?!" he exclaimed, carefully turning my injured cheek towards him so that he could inspect it further. "I thought you said that you were okay!"

I sighed at how easily he overreacted. It was just a scrape. "I am okay, Jackson. It's a little scrape. It's not a big deal."

"It is a big deal!" he exclaimed, his eyes wide, frustrated. "He hurt you!" He was furious at the thought. His hands were shaking and his eyes shifted from hazel to black in the space of a blink. Rafe had completely taken over.

Before I could even process the information, I was ripped away from Jackson and found myself pressed against the wall beside the front door, Xavier standing protectively in front of me while cautiously watching Jackson.

Jackson looked even more pissed, surprising me. I hadn't thought that was possible a moment ago.

"I told you werewolves are temperamental!" Xavier muttered at me.

Jackson's eyes were not only black, now they were glowing as well. "Give me back my mate, you filthy bloodsucker!" he growled menacingly. The growl sounded so much like Rafe that I knew he was moments from changing.