34 | Cecilia's Wolf

Cecilia

The first thing I became aware of as I slowly woke up was a burning pain in my throat. I groaned as I reached up to rub it. Immediately, I felt someone sit on the bed and grab my hand. "Drink this, Ceci," a familiar voice ordered me.

I listened to Xavier, taking whatever he was holding out to me without opening my eyes. I gulped some of it down and immediately drained the entire glass. It tingled pleasantly on the way down and immediately alleviated the burning in my throat. I opened my eyes and looked down to see a single red drop glistening on the rim of the cup. Blood. I licked the drop from the glass and sighed. It smelled delicious and tasted even better than the last time I'd had it.

With the blood gone, I decided to look around my surroundings. They were completely unfamiliar as I found myself in a bedroom that I had never seen before, Xavier sitting on the edge of the bed and looking at me worriedly. "Where am I?" I asked him.

He smiled gently at me, the gentleness confusing me. "You're at Fangs," he told me.

Fangs? What was I doing here? I looked around again, realizing that my eyesight was way better than it used to be. I could see the dust particles floating in the air, even without the sunlight, and I could read the small print on the papers across the room on the desk. What was going on? I took a deep breath to ask Xavier and froze as my senses went on overload. I could smell so many new things that my mind couldn't process them all. The most overwhelming was the lingering scent of blood from the goblet I'd just drained and it made my throat burn.

I gasped as everything came back. I'd left the pack house like an idiot, trying to figure out how the battle was going. Bane had nearly killed Jackson and I jumped in front of him. I could see Bane's teeth and claws again, feel the phantom pain of them slicing into me again. I was a vampire!

I groaned in dismay, covering my face with my hands. "Oh, god," I murmured.

I felt Xavier's arms come around me. "Everything is going to be okay, Ceci," Xavier assured me in a soft, comforting voice.

"No, it's not!" I moaned. "Jackson's going to hate me! That's why he's not here, isn't it?" I asked him, waiting for him to confirm it.

Xavier, however, shook his head. "That's not true," he told me. "Jackson doesn't know anything. He thinks you're dead. I was waiting for you to wake up before I went to see him."

I groaned, that made it worse! He must be so upset! "How long have I been out?" I asked, fearing the length of time that Jackson thought I was dead.

"A week," Xavier said.

I winced, knowing that Jackson had to be devastated and I knew I couldn't let him go through this any longer. Even if he decided he didn't want me now that I was a vampire, he had the right to know that I wasn't dead. "Will you go get him, please?" I asked him. "Better yet, maybe I should go," I added. Yeah, that was what needed to happen. He needed to see with his own eyes that I was okay.

Xavier disagreed, if his shaking head was any indication. "That's not a good idea, Ceci. We don't want you around humans right now. Not until we've explained everything to you."

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. "Are you scared I'll eat them on sight?"

Xavier made a face and shrugged, and I knew that was confirmation to my question. "Newborns are kind of volatile. How about we sit down and talk about it?"

I shook my head quickly. Explanations could wait. Jackson was more important. "Go to Jackson," I told him. "He needs to know that I'm okay."

"Alright," Xavier replied reluctantly as he stood up. "I'll send Levi up to explain and answer your questions while I go get Jackson." He leaned down and kissed my forehead.