1 - Connor Murphy

Stop Screaming: Connor Murphy x Reader

DD: Psychological Abuse, Mentions of Suicide, Manipulation

-

"The warning signs had been there,

but I had ignored them for so long.

I just wanted to believe that you were perfect,

but I couldn't be more wrong."

-

"Hey babe!"

Connor's eyes lit up as he heard the sound of ______'s voice on the other end of call and saw her face pop up. He had gotten into the habit of Skyping her whenever he was feeling like an exploding ball of anger and other emotions, but this was different. Today he didn't call her because he needed an out from his family and reality, this time he had some good news to tell her.

"Hey ______, what time is it there?" he asked her. One thing about his girlfriend that was considered taboo: they never actually had met face to face. They had met online, started talking and got to know each other more and more until Connor had asked her out on a late-night Skype call. It was a long-distance relationship, but he always wanted to see her in person. They both wanted to. That's why this was going to be such good news.

"Like you need to ask," she teased him. "You're always lecturing me about staying up late no matter what time it is, because you always know. But, you know, you calling me late at night doesn't help. How am I supposed to skip an opportunity to talk to you?"

"It would help if we were closer together," he commented for the billionth time.

"It would, but alas! I guess I'll just have to admire you from here, Connor Murphy."

"I have a surprise for you, actually," he told her, taking a deep breath. "So, I know it's going to summer break for you soon, and I'm already on mine since my school is better than yours-"

"I didn't answer this call to be attacked, Connor."

"Hey, hey, be patient. So, you know how my parents always have this wonderful, seemingly endless back account? Well, guess what I convinced them to buy..."

______'s eyes went wide and she sat up, causing the screen to lag for a moment at her sudden movement. "What?" she asked, excitement already lining her voice.

Connor held up a print-out of an email receipt. "A two-way ticket from your nearest airport to mine," Connor smiled, waiting to see the reaction he would get out of her, after all, it wasn't easy to convince his parents to do this, not very easy at all...

One Week Earlier...

"You want us to buy plane tickets for a girl you've never even met?" Larry Murphy raised an eyebrow at his son. He had never really understood Connor, and dealing with him was a whole other story, but this was unreasonable. He wasn't going to spend that amount of money for his son to spend time with his girlfriend and ignore them even further.

"I wasn't asking you, dad," Connor said bluntly. "I was asking mom."

"Whatever financial decisions we make, we make together," Cynthia told her son. However, Connor knew what he was doing when he asked his mom. She was sympathetic, and she was quicker to recognize that something was wrong with her son. It would take her longer to accept it, and even a longer time to realize how bad it was. But she wasn't blind, she could see the warning signs and red flags. They had always been there. She sighed, giving him a conflicted look. "How long have you been... 'dating' this girl?" she asked, using the word "dating" lightly, and fighting the urge to use air-quotes.