The Park

Cody's POV

I held Gwen's hand, leading her to the park in our neighborhood. She was still sniffling a bit, but I decided to let her think on her own for a while so she could clear her mind. We continued to walk until the park was in eye sight, with its old rusted swings and benches scattering the area.

When we got there, Gwen and I sat next to each other on a pair of swings. She was silent for a while, but when she finally spoke up, she didn't sound sad like I had expected, she sounded relieved. "Thank you so much Cody, if you weren't there with me, I probably couldn't have even looked at Trent." She looked down at the grass, her face turning pink under her makeup. "You're welcome, but you should know that he's not worth crying over."

This made her look up at me, surprised to hear me talking about the person I set her up with like that. "You're a really beautiful girl, and you deserve better than him," she looked up, a smile forming on her face. "Cody I just want to know, why do you still talk to me, why do you want to be friends with me?"

I looked at her with a confused expression on my face, not understanding what she meant. "I mean you set me up with Trent and we stopped hanging out, I've been a horrible friend to you, why do you even talk to me?" I looked at her, not knowing if she wanted to hear this answer.

"It's because....Gwen, I-i, Gwen I like you, a lot, I didn't want to tell you like this, but I don't have some stupid crush on you, ever since we were younger, I wanted to tell you and be with you forever, and I know this sounds stupid but, Gwen I really like you."

She looked at me with wide eyes and an open mouth. we sat there for a while, her with a surprised look on her face and me with a burning red blush on mine. After a few minutes, she finally said something "Cody, I-I didn't know you felt this way about me, why didn't you tell me sooner?" "Maybe because I was always scared what you'd think about me when I did," I responded quickly.

"Well maybe we should just be friends like we used to be for now, and see how things work out." she said, with as small smile on her face.

"That would be great," I responded, and I truly meant it.