Chapter 1

Everything Turned Upside Down

1984 January 22nd

Chapter 1

W I L L

My eyes opened as the morning sunlight shined through my window.

"Will, get up!" My Mom said, hovering over me. I rolled to my side and my clock read 6:40.

Shoot. I'm late.

I lurched out of bed and flung some clothes on and gobbled down the eggs my brother, Jonathan, had made for me.

"Come on Jonathan! I'm going to be late!" I shouted.

"I'm coming, I coming!" He replied. I hopped into the car, excited to see my friends.

*********

"Hey guys!" I shouted, running up to them. My smile faltered at the sight of the curly haired girl sitting next to Mike. "Um, Mike, Who's this?" I asked pointing at her.

"Oh! Will! This is Eleven, or El. El this is-" Mike started.

"Will..." El said studying me. She had a very faded accent. I didn't bother to ask how she knew who I was If she was the Eleven that Mike had told me has telepathy and telekinesis.

"She's going to be doing separate classes to catch up on all the school work she missed, but she'll be moved into our classes later this year." Mike said filling in the awkward silence.

"Okay!" I said, smiling once again, but it felt more forced. "Nice to finally meet you." The bell rang and we parted ways, going to class. 

********

Mr. Clarke started to give us a lecture and I was all ears, every once in awhile glancing at my friends. I couldn't wait for AV club after. It would be a great time for Lucas, Dusty, Mike, and I could catch up on what had happened last week, I was sedated for all the exciting parts. Also another good chance to catch me up on what happened when I was in...

The lights flickered.

"No, no, no." I mumbled to myself when all the students disappeared. An overwhelming cold terror released itself in my chest. My breathing get shallow as I ran to the door, and into the hall. The black, almost seaweed like, stuff littered the halls. I ran out of the school and into the field.

Then I saw it.

The Shadow Monster.

It took up most of the sky, and red lightning flashed around it. I froze, not knowing what to do. I thought these visions would go away when my Mom got the Shadow Monster out of me, but no. They had to come back. I glanced back at it and started to hyperventilate.

"WILL!!!" Someone shouted. I turned around and nothing was there. The Shadow Monster started to come closer.

"WHY ME?" I shouted at it, suddenly angry. "OUT OF EVERYONE, YOU CHOSE TO HAUNT ME!" A tear trickled down my cheek as it came closer. I turned around, but demodogs had me surrounded.

"No..." I wanted to just smack the Upside-down so it could bother some other universe.

I saw an opening and ran at top speed to the baseball dugout. I sat underneath the bench and hugged my knees to my chest.

"Will!" I felt pressure on my shoulders.

"Snap out of it, snap out of it." I mumbled to myself and squeezed my eyes shut. I opened them and I was back. I looked around and saw that there wasn't any black seaweed stuff. The sky was gray, and filled with clouds, but you could see the sun trying to poke it's way through. The Shadow Monster and the red lightning were gone.

"Will, are you okay?" Mike asked, snapping his fingers in front of my face. 

"Ye-Yeah. I'm fine." I told him shuddering. A crowd was starting to gather around us. "Hey Zombie Boy! Crying for your MOMMY again?" Troy shouted in our direction. A pinecone came flying through the air and hit him square on the nose. His nose started to bleed, so I turned around to see who threw it. I saw Max, with another pinecone in her left hand. She aimed to throw it and doubled over laughing when Troy ran inside.

"HAHAHA! That guy's an asshole." She said, laughing.

Mike laughed along with her, but I stayed silent. 

If only they knew what I had to go through when I was in the Upside down. 

A/N

I know, I know, that chapter was terrible. But, it gets A LOT BETTER!!! Please hang in there, I promise, it's worth it! I won't do A/N's often, but I will write the amount of words at the end of every chapter. Please Hang in there, I promise(again) it's worth it!

Thanks for reading this far!!!

@Sokeefe_4life and @fuzzypoopbunny 

Word Count: 760