Chapter 3

First things first, I had to get Jake's approval. He was an important person to me, and it felt wrong to ignore his thoughts and go on with being a model. I knew he was going to be against it, but the least I could do was tell him. 

I texted Jake that I was coming over and drove to his house. I let myself in using the spare key that Jake hid under the mat. He wasn't a very creative or careful person. 

I entered the house, expecting a new pile of empty pizza boxes in the corner of the living room. Instead, I was greeted by a spotless, clean, and actually good-smelling house. Knowing Jake, I knew he would never have done this makeover by himself - his mom must have dropped by before.

Jake's parents were divorced, and Jake lived with his mother. However, she was almost never home, because of her busy work schedule. Not that Jake minded, he never actually gave a crap about his parents. As far as I could tell, I was his only "family" member. 

I called out his name but heard no answer. I groaned - he was probably sleeping or obsessively playing COD. If it was the latter, well, it was going to be hard peeling him away from the game.

I stomped upstairs to his room and not surprisingly, found Jake playing COD, eyes glued to the screen. He was muttering something under his breath, which sounded suspicously like profanities.   I rolled my eyes and shouted, "Jake! Earth to Jake! Do you hear me?!" 

He glanced my way but didn't reply. I groaned and said, "Don't make me unplug the TV like last time. I need to talk to you asap."

Unplugging the TV got his attention. He immediately saved his game and turned off his TV. I smiled at my victory and said, "Good boy. I'll buy you McDonalds as a reward."

Jake grinned and said, "Buy me In N' Out too, and you have yourself a deal."

I muttered, "Fatass," but nodded my head. 

"So," Jake started, "What do you have to talk to me about again?"

"Well," I shifted uncomfortably, "It's about that modelling thing..."

Jake groaned, "Anna, please, don't tell me your going to do it. It's stupid and impossible!"

"Jake, listen, I know it might sound like a bad idea, but it seems fun. I get paid to stand in front of a camera and walk around wearing designer clothes! It's not a hard job, and I may be able to introduce to you some hot models." I winked.

"Anna, I don't care about the hot models!"-I raised my eyebrow-"Okay, maybe I do, but that's beside the point. The point is that you have to be a MALE model. Do you understand how dangerous that can be?" 

"What do you mean dangerous? How in the world is it dangerous? There is no way that anyone can tell that I'm a girl with my looks!"

"It's not your looks, Anna. It's the fact that you'll have to be hiding your gender, and if you get caught, you're going to be in huge trouble. And let's say you do make it big. Do you honestly think that you'll be able to live a normal life again? Do you think you'll still be the same person after reaching supermodel stardom? I don't want to lose you, Anna. You're the best thing that has ever happened to me after my parents divorced, and I don't want to let you go." Jake shouted. 

I was shocked by his words. I was the best thing that has ever happened to him? He didn't want to let me go? What was that supposed to mean?

We stood staring at each other for what seemed like eternity. I finally broke the silene and whispered, "What do you mean by that?"

Jake sighed and replied, "What do you think?"

"Uh, you don't want to lose our friendship?" I stammered.