Masquerade on Bourbon Street

Chapter 11: Masquerade on Bourbon Street

"Hunger,

Hunger,

is the purest sin
it is an empty church

in a crowded bin"

-Susanne Sundfør - "White Foxes"

"Grayson's behavior," Mr. SinClair said, looking at Sean and then glancing at Grayson, "is concerning."

He folded his hands and placed them neatly on the desk. He wasn't just talking about the fight, that much was clear.

Grayson clenched his teeth at that, his hands balling into hard fists. Where was he when Ethan got shoved into the dead dog? Where was he when Logan had physically attacked them, when he had popped Grayson's shoulder out of place last year? Where was he when, in eighth grade, other students found out their mother died having them, and that became just another weapon to use against them, to hurt them? No, he hadn't been there. His behavior was concerning?

Sean nodded, holding that thought in his mind.

"I believe he may be dealing with," his brown eyes slid towards Grayson's face. He wasn't looking at the older male, though, but his eyes were focused on the way that the walls had subtle cracks in the plaster, "some emotional issues, perhaps."

Grayson's eyes snapped towards Mr. SinClair's ruddy face, and he suppressed a sneer, teeth clenched. Who was he, Dr. Phil?

He really wanted Ethan there, not in the hallway talking to- who was it? He tried to listen, his head turning to the side, attempting at concentrating.

"I don't know."

"You should. I heard someone's going to spike the tea."

"My behavior's concerning?" Grayson asked, borderline sarcastic, he was trying to not focus on being upset.

Sean gave him a slightly startled look and Mr. SinClair sighed, "Yes."

"What kind of issues?" Sean interjected, genuinely interested. Grayson crossed his arms, leaning back, curling his toes in his sneakers.

"I've been noticing how Grayson acts with other students and how Ethan does too, to a degree. I saw this last year with them and it is the same this year. He hardly engages with anyone besides him and his teachers. That's fine with me, of course. Some students are naturally more solitary than others. They both seem like fine, handsome young men, though, and academically they are doing great. I understand that Grayson has Dyslexia, but all his teachers say he is doing well in the reading assignments. They are having no problem in that regards. But they don't engage in any extracurricular activities like most of the other students. I never see them at sporting games or during any special events that we host."

"They were in sports until, well," Sean said quietly, looking down at his own grasped hands, "They decided they didn't want to engage in them anymore."

"Yes," Mr. SinClair nodded, "I understand that."

"Yeah."

"Well, I'll see you around, bro."

"That is fine as well. I just think, perhaps," he said, looking at Mr. Dolan, "extracurricular activities would be good at reliving stress and anger, especially." So, that was what this was all about? The principal thought he had anger issues? He had bigger issues than that, now, like being attacked by a werewolf and turning into one.