Trembled

Chapter 26: Trembled

"Looking down on empty streets, all she can see
Are the dreams all made solid
Are the dreams made real

All of the buildings, all of the cars
Were once just a dream
In somebody's head

She pictures the broken glass, pictures the steam
She pictures a soul
With no leak at the seam-

Let's take the boat out
Wait until darkness
Let's take the boat out
Wait until darkness comes-"

-Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street"

"And I want to play."

Ethan was trying his best not to be pulled into the depths of panic, but it was perfectly impossible, especially with Grayson, no, not Grayson, looking at him like that, pressing him against the wall, trapping him in, hands suddenly on either side of his head.

Trembles raced up his spine and down again. Had Sean heard when he slammed his fist into the wall behind his head?

Was this what Gray meant when he said he was scared that he was losing himself, that he was afraid that he was going to submit to the curse?

His head cocked to the side slightly, grinning like the cat that caught the canary.

His mind was racing: what could he do? Grayson couldn't be lost, could he? No, no, he couldn't be. This was not Grayson that he was looking at. 

"What do you want with me?" He said, and that got him to smiling again.

Ethan cried out as he bared his sharp teeth at him, right to his shoulder, pressing against him completely as though he was going to bite him. He pulled away, laughing. It was harsh to him since it was Grayson's laugh, loud and normally a familiar comfort to his ears, and Ethan was trembling.

Grayson's eyes traced him, liking what he was seeing.

"You cry too much," he said, and Ethan flinched at that, "Grayson thinks so too."

Ethan shook his head. He didn't know what Grayson thought. Did he?

"He is within me as I am within him. We are the same. But he's weak," he said, his mouth upturning slightly, "and won't do it."

Won't do what? Ethan blinked, feeling even more confused.

Grayson caught the look, and cocked his head to the side, "Oh, he didn't tell you?"

Ethan felt him lean in, whispering in his ear, "He dreams of hunting you. He dreams of turning you. We could be unstoppable. That what he secretly wants. He wants the streets to run red with blood. He wants you and him to be a pack, to leave this God forsaken town behind."

Ethan jerked his head back, looking him dead in the eyes, "You're a liar."

Grayson eyes widened and then relaxed again, "There's that fire. And people think I'm the one with anger issues."

Ethan glared and shook his head.

"Who are you?" he asked. He leaned down suddenly, almost threateningly, and Ethan whimpered, turning his head to the side, as his nose went to his throat, inhaling as he ran it up the main vein. He made a small, satisfied sound. Ethan had the urge to punch him square in the jaw. 

"We are one, you and I. You are my brother as I am your brother. We are one as you and Grayson are one."

No, this was not his brother.