Chapter Two

•—•—•—•
ELIDI'S P.O.V
•—•—•—•

Getting up in the morning was always difficult in some way. Whether it was your blaring alarm clock set more for show than anything, or if it was the sound of your aunts screams travelling up the stairs and through the thin walls at you to get up.

"ELIDI YOU BETTER BE UP!" She heard her aunt yell at her from downstairs; probably in the kitchen. "I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW TO GO TO AT 9:10 SHARP AND I CAN'T BE LATE FOR IT! SO HURRY UP AND GET DOWN HERE TO MAKE ME MY BREAKFAST!"

Groaning and with the energy of a sloth, she got up and began to get ready; quickly running a brush as much as she could through her wavy; almost curly, thick hair. Throwing on a pair of slightly ripped jeans and a simple white tee; that was slightly crumpled. She rushed downstairs, only to find that her aunt had already left.

Sighing at the sight of a half empty cereal bowl and juice; Elidi cleaned up the rest with ease before eating her own breakfast made up of slightly burnt toast and apple juice. That was until, she heard the familiar loud honk of the bus from probably about the street over.

Elidi rushed to finish her toast as she sprinted up the stairs to finish getting ready. Not long afterwards; she reappeared, going two steps at a time down the stairs; nearly tripping on the last one, to get to her bag. She heard the bus honk again, signalling that it was already there and not waiting long for her to get on.

Sighing, Elidi ran out the door and onto the bus; she knew was only seconds away from leaving. As the sole of her shoe hit the narrow pathway leading to the back of the bus; she heard her friend yell her name, completely ignoring the bus driver; and Elidi began her journey over to her.

"Eli!" Her old friend Leah said; "You have absolutely no idea how much I missed you!" Leah exclaimed as she crushed Elidi in a big hug, smelling of her usual mint gum she always chewed. Her blonde hair was down to her shoulders the last time Elidi saw her one year ago; but now it was cropped short up to her chin and dyed an ombré of bubblegum pink to a dark royal purple.

Finally, Leah pulled away from her and sighed, her icy blue eyes meeting Elidi's mismatched ones of blue and brown. Not about to wait a moment longer Elidi burst out "Why are you back here so soon? What happened? I missed you so much! Also, what did you do to your hair?"

The girl shifted beside her; her eyes falling straight down to the floor as she struggled to find the right words.

"They got divorced; and I cut my hair and dyed it myself to get back at what happened to our family." She spoke quietly as though she regretted it all. After looking around to make sure no one else could hear, she said; "Mom and I moved back here, while my father-" She spat out the word as though it was poison in her mouth; "-remains in England with his new 'girlfriend'. I never knew he had it in him to go behind moms back like that."

Elidi could see the angry tears about to break free from her eyes. Being one of the first people on the bus; there was barely anyone around to see as they finally burst through a moment later.

"I didn't know what to do Eli!" Leah sobbed on Elidi's shoulder "You weren't there; Hailey wasn't there; and Maggie wasn't there! I was completely alone for the past three months and what made it worse is that I couldn't even talk to you! Mom and Father made sure of that when we first got there; saying we needed some 'family time to heal'. I just missed you guys and Maggie so much!"