Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Not everyone understands what football means to people around here. It's not just a game, it's a way of life. It's a ticket to a better and brighter future for a family. It's a way to pay for college, and a way to make a living. Football is more than a few guys throwing a pigskin around. It represents every singe kid's dream, and when a town fills the stadium every Friday night, it's not just to watch teenagers pound each other to death. It's to watch these kids strive for their goals, to reach their dreams, and to live out their fantasies. One second on that field in front of a college scout can change a pimple faced teenager's destiny. Instead of being a mechanic or a construction worker, that kid has a chance of making something out of himself. And, Brenda, that's what I want for your son."

Mom told me the same story every single night before a game since Coach came knocking on our door when I was 10. I wasn't an extraordinarily gifted athlete when I was 10 years old, but Coach said he saw something in me that day and has supported and trained me everyday since.

Coach smiled, his eyes crinkled, "Are those the exact words I used?" Coach was in his mid thirties. His blonde hair was starting to fade to gray already, and he started to show some light wrinkles. He was a lean man though, whenever the team ran, he'd run right along side us. He said it kept him in shape, and showed that if a 35 year old man could run a few laps, teenagers could do the same.

Mom nodded, "Yep. I have them memorized by heart."

I laughed, "Mom, I think everyone at this dinner table has that speech memorized."

"Well, they should. Those are the most important words I think anyone has every said to me. They gave me hope, and they gave you a chance. Now look at you, a senior in high school about to make it to college football. I'm real proud of you, and if it weren't for Coach, you'd probably be a loser like everyone else in this town, God bless 'em."

"It's not a done deal yet Mom, I have to get an offer first."

"And you will, Sweetie."

Coach scooped another helping of mashed potatoes onto his plate, "These potatoes are delicious, Brenda."

She smiled, "Thank you Coach, but don't get too full, we still have a pie to eat."

Every year before the first game of fall season, Mom had Coach over for dinner. She and Gran would fix a huge dinner for the four of us and we'd sit and talk and laugh. Mom would always tell the story of how brand new assistant coach of the Burnet high school football team, Gary Rogers walked up to her doorstep one sunny afternoon.

Coach wasn't just a friend. He was a family member. He practically raised me. Everyday after school I'd meet him at the park and we'd play football. He'd give me pointers and tactics. Sooner than I realized, he had me running drills and tackling dummies. I wouldn't be half the player I am if it weren't for him. Hell, I'd probably be some loser like Mom said without him. He gave me the chance to see the possibility of actually achieving a dream.

And not only did he train me to be a better athlete, but a better person. He gave me life lessons and showed me how to be a man. Without my own father around, his insight was more than welcomed by both me and Mom. I don't know where I'd be without him.

I looked across the dinner table at him, "The recruiter from ACU is still coming tomorrow, right?"

Coach set his fork down, "Don't worry about it."

"What do you mean don't worry about it? He's from ACU and he's coming to watch me. It's big, he could offer me something, I need to be at the top of my game."

Coach shook his head, "No."

"No? What do you mean no?"

He sighed, "He called me this morning, he said something came up and he can't make it down. I'm sorry, Tripp. But see, now there's no pressure. Just go out there and play like you love to do. It doesn't matter who's watching."