•CHAPTER NINE

chapter nine: messy confessions
vanished!

HOPPER and Murray were quickly welcomed by the two policemen once they entered the welcoming library. a lanky, caucasian male with a headful of messy hazel hair was standing hunched over next to a much more put-together policeman. "Phil. Calvin." Hopper greeted the pair before gesturing the three to a far off table.

"We'll check the files on the Ives family history...records and whatever. You guys look for more information on that orphanage, there's something off about that woman." Hopper dismissed the others with a nod before dragging Murray over to one side of the library's file section.

-

"uh...mike, the a.v room is the other way." Dustin clarified, pointing in the opposite direction that Mike was for some reason not going in. "sorry guys, i can't go today.

"follow me." was all Lucas said before grabbing onto Mike's wrist and dragging him to who knows where. "what do you what? let me go!" Mike whined, much rather still be in the technology room printing more 'Missing' fliers and researching certain topics.

"hold on."
Lucas pulled Mike into the a.v club room before standing guard in front of the door, his arms were crossed as they covered his puffed chest. with a heavy voice and squinting eyes he spoke,  "talk."

"what?"

"you've been acting weird, and no it's not just you being you-" Lucas held out a hand in defense, head tilting to the side before continuing, "i mean weirder than usual. and you know it. you've been looking paler and you're just completely shut-off." Lucas ranted, making Mike chew nervously on the inside of his cheek.

"i–it's nothing, i'm just tired...with all of the homework we've been getting." Mike excused, holding his blistering hands up in defeat. Lucas took a step forward, rage and confusion taking up his mind. "We both know that's a lie. i saw how you got when that missing girl aired on the news...and now thinking about it, you've been using up all the paper and ink on the printers. You're always leaving here with a stack full of papers-"

"Wait, you've been watching me?!" Mike yelled. his once bright, hazel eyes were now full of swarms of anxiety clashing with utter darkness as his mouth curled into a scowl. "I would've figured this shit out even if i wasn't! We're worried, Mike, i'm asking from the bottom of my—our—hearts...what's happening? are you okay? please, Mike. tell me, tell the others! i miss the old, nerdy and carefree Mike." Warmth and concern were the only two things now positively radiating off of Lucas, whatever anger he once had had completely disappeared once he took notice of Mike's shaky appearance.

dark circles were bruised under mike's glossy eyes, his skin was as pale as snow and it wasn't like the untamed bush of hair wasn't helping anything. his clothes were practically slipping off of his boney figure, his hands constantly seemed rubbed a violent shade of red-which were also accompanied with a set of short, bloody nails. the boy always looked terrified and shaky and constantly took short gasps of air, as if one would be his final intake of air. he seemed so fragile, as if the lightest touch would break him to pieces.

the Mike standing in front of Lucas was nothing like the Mike he once knew, and it was tearing him apart.

finally after what felt like years of just listening to his irregular heartbeat, he heard Mike speak up. In a shaky voice he spoke, "Alright f-fine!" his voice cracked, "it is about that girl. there, are you happy?! she's one of my best friends, Lucas..i would tutor her almost everyday whenever she would come to the diner. we told each other everything. i-" Mike looked down, his throat felt like it was closing in on itself as his vision blurred with tears, "i loved her..." Mike quickly looked back up at Lucas, not bothering to wipe away the hot tears that just couldn't stop rolling down his freckled face. "And now she's gone, a-and i can't do anything about it." Mike ended, his voice had fainted into a barely audible whisper.