Turn 6: Next To You

Finally we had arrived at the palace. I'm still too young to govern the whole kingdom so my Aunts helped me with ruling my people. Prince Phillip and I walked to the balcony at the highest chamber of the palace. The little town not too far from the palace was so peaceful, my people were doing their daily chores and I admired them for that.

"Pretty land, isn't it?" I thought out loud.

"And a pretty lady," Prince Phillip complimented

"A lot of men have told me that. Maybe it's true. I guess some women are slow to believe it."

"Believe it."

"They're drawn to me by that, but it never lasts."

"Why?"

"Because they don't like what I want."

"What's that?"

"I want to build something. Make things grow. That takes hard work, a lifetime of it. That's not why a man comes to a pretty woman." I explained.

"After a while I won't be so pretty... but this land will still be."

He paused his breathing for a moment and then finally said, "Wow..."

And I saw that something restraining, one of those human secrets that baffle probability, had come into play there. Maleficent, drawing her own tsunami walk, swaying her hips from side to side with such projection, glided towards us. I looked at her with a swift quickening of interest, not because it occurred to me I might be eaten by my previous nightmare before very long, though that was just then I perceived-in a new light, as it were—how unwholesome I looked, I hoped, yes I positively hoped, that my aspect was not so—what shall I say? So unappetizing, turn off even.

A touch of fantastic vanity which fitted well with the dream-sensation that pervaded all my days at that time when she said my name.

"Aurora, dear, "

"Prince Phillip, what a turn out. Well, I will be going to our annual meeting with the fairytale's witches and be gone for a week. You, little boy, I want you to watch over my Queen."

"Of course, bitch- I mean, witch, uh... fairy godmother." He cleared his throat.

"Pardon me; I'm not sure how to address you."

Okay, I didn't like that.

"You know what?" I felt my head heat up at the exact disrespectful tone I've never used to anyone before.

"I hate it when you call people with such a disgraced name, Phillip, you don't even know her. Her name is Maleficent, Ma-le-fi-cent, you hear me?"

"Briar Rose," Aunt Flora called me by my nickname, her voice boomed through the corridor and pass to the hallways.

"Did I hear you raise your voice to Prince Phillip? Honey, what did I teach you? Conduct and rightful manners, he's our guest." Suddenly she appeared in front of us in her tiny fairy figure. She wiggled her wand and turned herself into human size.

"Apologize to the Prince right now," she ordered while Prince Phillip and Maleficent stood there watching me in awe.

"Wha— why, why should I? He should be the one to apologize to Maleficent; he just called her bit-"

"Briar Rose! Watch your mouth young lady," she scolded me with her forefinger.

"I-I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, Aunt Flora. I didn't mean to, Prince Phillip, sorry... I'm sorry."

I bowed my head low, covered my face and ran away. The stairway was so darn long I just wanted to cry in my room. I kept running downstairs. How long will these stairs go on? I reached another hallway and saw a huge door. I brushed my feet and headed to that room.

It was the gallery of the kings. The legendary King's and Queen's pictures hung on the walls. All the statues and furniture stands surrounding me I found my way to the deepest corner of the room, to where I settled and cried.

"You didn't have to defend me, you know."

"Sweet mercy!" I stared, shocked, at Maleficent who was already standing before me. "How did you get here so fast?"

"Oh, come on," she rolled her eyes and flapped her wings. Oh yeah,  she had wings, I didn't.

"Can I sit beside you?" she asked. I nodded in response and moved a little giving room for her.

"It will be alright, beastie," she faced me and I started to sob again, remembering the nightmare and what happened earlier at the balcony. I said nothing and kept on sobbing.

"Come here." Caressing my face, she inched her face towards mine and slowly brushed her lips to my forehead.

I sobbed even louder. Why? Of my entire, face she had to kiss me on the forehead all the time?  Why can't it be the two of us? Why can't we be lovers?

"I have to go, everything's going to be fine, Aurora..." she stood up and I still didn't say a thing. "Farewell."

Maleficent vanished like a swirling tornado of golden dust, leaving me undone.

--sevheen7
 ♞ the dark knight