Chapter 2 - Knights

Marco's POV
After I left the new room that Star made for me I went and looked around the castle in more detail than any other time. If I was going to live here I should at least know how to escape if something happens again. I walked down the stairs to the dining hall and saw Star talking to her parents. I quickly hid to make sure I wasn't interrupting anything important and listened in for a second. "Star, honey, we need to talk about Marco. It's okay that he stays here but he needs to have a job." I heard Queen Moon say. "Okay mom but what can he do? Hes not from around here, he doesn't know how to do anything around the castle." Star said back. I was a little offended when she said that, thinking that I can do anything I wanted to here. I'm good with karate so i could be a ninja or something, and I'm good with organizing things so I would be good at a lot of accounting and stuff like- I was cut off in my thoughts by Moon. "Well, we were thinking that he could do what he is already doing, except he will have the title." Moon and River looked at each other and smiled. "He will be your protector, your knight-" River interrupted, "but not until hes a squire for a few years" Moon looked back and continued, "yes. He will have to prove himself for the next few years in order to become a full blown night. But I dont think that will be a problem, will it Marco?" Moon looked at the top of the stairs. I got up and said "Um. Not at all. How long did you know I was there?" "We know everything that goes on in this castle, especially when someone walks down the stairs loudly." Moon said smiling. "But Marco, if you really want to be apart of this family you will need to stop sneaking around. We dont have any secrets around here." She added. I walked down the stairs and looked at Star worried that she would be mad, instead she was glowing with her amazing smile. "Marco please come here and kneel." Moon said. I walked in front of the table and kneeled down. "Do you Marco- um, sweaty what's his...-" "Marco Ubaldo Diaz" Star said. Moon looked at River and said, "Star, do you want to do the honors?" "Ssure!" She said loudly. "Marco Ubaldo Diaz, do you hereby solemnly swear to protect me throughout your life, through the toughest of times, in the hardest of situations, to always stay by my side no matter what, and to be my friend for life?" "I do" I said calmly and then looked at Star and smiled. "Then its official, you are now Star's squire." River said in a happy tone. Star and I both smiled as I got up.