Chapter 22

"AA-AACHHOOoo!!" Dan sneezed loudly as he walked with April and Casey out of the school.

"Bless you." Casey said.

"Thanks." Dan said, rubbing his nose with his sleeve. 

"Are you getting sick?" April asked.

"I don't think so."

"Alright students, lets get on the bus." Said one of the teachers.

About a week had passed from when they rescued Toato and everything had finally calmed down. Today was the day that a few of the classes were going to go on a field trip out of New York into one of the smaller cities to do some community service. The trip was meant to last a little longer after school before they could make it back.

"Man. This is going to be so boring."  Casey complained as they climbed on the bus.

"Well at least we'll be helping-RAGH!"

"Dan!" Flaira wrapped her arms around his shoulders from behind, catching him off guard.

"F-Flaira?!" Dan said, turning around the best he could with her on him and the tight space of the bus aisle. "W-What are you-?"

"OOOOOooo!" Someone shouted from the back of the bus. "Dan's got a girlfriend!"

"She is not my girlfriend!" Dan shouted back, turning his head in the person's direction.

"Oh my love! How you wound me so!" Flaira said dramatically.

"This is not the place nor time for that!" Dan said, his face turning pink as his head snapped back to her - who was now hugging his arm.

His face became even more pink as he heard people laughing and snickering from their seats.

"Settle down students." Said the teacher. Dan thought that he might have been to Bio teacher? Mr.... Mr. Clide, if he was remembering correctly. "Find your seats you four. And try not to cause any more commotion."

Thankfully for Dan, they had already been assigned people to sit next to by the teachers of the classes they came from. Dan and Casey sat next to each other while April and Flaira sat with other people from their classes. Because of what was going to happen, it was a good thing that Minerva wasn't in one of the classes going.

Time passed, the bus full of lively chatter as they traveled.

"So I'm confused about something." Casey said, looking at Dan. "Are you and Flaira dating? Or not?"

"HUH?" Dan said, his cheeks glowing a light pink again. "No, we are not dating."

"Then why does she act like that around you?"

"It's not just me... I'm sure... It's just who she is I guess." Dan said. He suddenly felt very tired.

"Only around you dude. After you introduced us to her, I saw her in one of my last classes of the day. She mostly kept to herself, and anyone she did talk to, she acted like a normal human being."

"O-oh, y-yeah?" Dan said, only half listening. His head was starting to ache. It was getting worse by the second.

"Yeah. I think she really likes you. Like, like-likes you. You shouldn't just leave her hanging."

"I, I, uh,... What, did yo-u s-say....?" Dan said, rubbing his eyes. "I-is it just me,... or is it getting hotter?"

Casey said something else but his voice was, distant.

"I-I...ugh... I-I don't feel so good..." Dan put his hand to his forehead. He would have opened the window next to them, but he was suddenly sapped of strength.