Chapter 23

The next wave was only one goblin this time and the goblin was taken down quickly. However, this time, when the goblin fell, Flaira and Dan were struck from behind by an invisible force. Pinned to the ground, the pressure grew heavier and heavier, slowly crushing them.

Dan felt even more weight on his back as someone, or something pushed down on the center of Dan's spine with their foot.

A cry of pain escaped from Dan's mouth as the foot pressed harder. There was a soft laugh came from above him. Dan forced himself to look over his shoulder to see, another goblin, this one dressed in light, filthy clothing and had a staff in hand. It was also smaller than the others.

A warlock....! Dan thought, his heart racing.

Goblin warlocks were one of the most dangerous kind there were. They were goblins that could use magic; dark magic, death magic. Dan tried to push himself off the ground but was held fast by the spell.

"Hahaha!" The warlcok cackled. "You are strong but not strong enough." Then it turned to the forest surrounding the clearing. "Get the humans in that, uh,... that, cage and take these two. We'll have some fun with this lot HAHAHA!"

"Leave them alone!" Flaira strained to say between clenched teeth. She tried to get up and was on the verge to success before she was forced back down, the warlock giving more strength to his spell.

"Foolish child." He sneered.

"No. It Is you who is the fool!" Called out a voice out of nowhere.

But it seemed, familiar to Dan somehow.

The warlock turned to see who had spoken.

"Another human." The goblin said. Then fear began to creep into his voice. "...No... You're no ordinary human... y-you a-are....!"

"A wizard." The voice finished for him. The magic holding Dan and Flaira lifted and Dan took this chance to attack the warlock, using his knife and reaching up as far as he could behind his back; the goblin's upper thigh.

The goblin cried out in pain and glaring down at him, kicking Dan while sending a fireball in the direction of the wizard. The wizard did something that the goblin warlock didn't expect and that Dan couldn't see from where he was laying.

"Now you will pay for what you have done and the evil that you have caused!" Said the wizard. 

The warlock cried out in one last howling pain as he burst into a bright blue flame. The flames quickly grew, turning into a whirlwind of fire, spinning and chasing the remaining goblins who ran. Some of them only had time to scream before turning into a pile of ashes. At one point, the flames traveled over Dan's body. He panicked and covered his head, not having time to try to scramble out of the way; but when it passed, it didn't burn. Dan sat on his hands and knees, looking at first himself then the fire, the only thing damaged was the back of his shirt which was only slightly scorched. Dan rolled over to his back, gulping down the fresh air.

"Y-y...You.. okay?" Dan said in between breaths.

"Uh-huh..." Flaira answered, not having moved from the spot on the ground where the goblin had pinned her to.

There had been a few screams that came from the bus when the flames had gone over Dan then Flaira but there were even more as they passed over the bus. Minutes that felt like hours passed by.

There was a shadow that suddenly cased over Flaira and Dan.

"Are you two alright?" Someone asked.

Dan opened his tired eyes to find a body in shadow was standing over them, they too were holding a staff.

"Yes..." Dan said. "Thanks to you, master wizard...."