Chapter 3:6

The double doors opened with a yawn. A smooth, uniform glow spread out across a vast and mostly empty gallery, inviting them to step inside. The polished floor resembled an enormous backgammon board with narrow triangles of painted wood pointing inwardly from the walls, all aiming at an elegant black runner that stretched the length of the room. Fred and George almost felt guilty walking on it with their ratty shoes. The room was impressive, and yet it confused them. It didn't seem interesting in the slightest. In fact, there wasn't much to look at beyond a few paintings and sculptures.

"Have we taken a wrong turn?" George wondered aloud.

"Not at all."

Lee directed them toward a sculpture in white marble of a man on a long broomstick. Based on his outfit, he was a Quidditch player. Up close, the twins were able to conclude that he was a Seeker, by his frozen posture and the fact that he was reaching for a hovering Golden Snitch, also in white marble, that was just out of reach.

Rupert hid his eyes as Lee climbed the statue nimbly, knowing just where to find a foothold until he was able to reach the winged ball. He looked back expectantly at the twins and moved the ball into the player's hand. At once, the sculpture slid from its position, revealing a hidden flight of steps bathed in torchlight.

"Brilliant!" Fred roared.

His voice resonated through the room as Lee held fast to the Seeker's arm and swung to safety. Angelina and George were peeking into the cavity in the floor when Rupert suddenly hurdled over their heads and hastened down the stairs.

"Spineless devils! You get back here at once!" he shouted before vanishing around a bend in the stairwell.

The four of them rushed down the steps after Rupert and soon found themselves standing in a second gallery with a much lower ceiling, surrounded by rows of glass display cases coiling with luminous protection spells. Rupert was darting in and out, chasing a creature half his size.

"I wish we could afford a house elf," Fred said fondly.

George nodded enthusiastically. "How many do you have, Lee? Must need dozens with a house like this."

"There's just the one," Lee responded to their shock, as Rupert skated past them. He corralled the creature at the bottom of the stairs and produced a small net from his robe. Moments later he was snaring a second. "Traps must be full, eh?"

"I emptied them two days ago, Master Lee," said Rupert. He held the net up to his eyes and frowned. "They must be breeding in the boathouse again."

"Traps? Hold on just a second," said Angelina in a pained voice. The creatures inside the net wriggled around to face her. Angelina's eyes softened at the sight of their fluffy black fur, lovable expressions, and formidably long snouts. "What do you think you're doing to those poor creatures?"

"Poor creatures?" the house-elf replied. "Their lot is anything but poor, young miss. Let me tell you."

Rupert flipped the net upside-down. A shower of jewelry, gems, and wizarding coins came tumbling out and rolled across the floor. The black creatures squealed as their little arms pushed through the net to grapple frantically for what continued to fall.

"Are those... Nifflers?" Fred muttered. "Never seen one."

"Yeah, we've left bait scattered around the house to catch them. The little blighters are always sneaking about. Rupert is clearing out the traps once a week these days."

"Like us with garden gnomes," said George.

"Little thieves," Rupert complained.

Angelina bent at the knees and smiled at them. "I think they're cute!"