Chapter 1 ~ Freedom

I was walking along the path, admiring the excellent quality of the wall. I stopped and looked up, squinting from the brightness of the sun. I stroked the cool stone of Wall Sina and bowed my head against the wall, my eyes fluttering shut.

"Alice? Alice!" I hear my mother call. My eyes snap open immediately, and I turn around in surprise. My mother stands there, her hands on her hips and looks at me exasperatedly.

"How many times must I tell you Alice? I don't like you running off like that! You're only 16, something could happen!" My mother says worriedly.

"I'm sorry mother." I say tiredly, my grey piercing eyes looking utterly bored.

They looked bored because I was. I was bored of living in this bird cage, of being part of a noble family that didn't do anything exciting. I was sick of this place, and I longed for my hometown of Brantôme, France.

My mother also seemed to be sick of her monotone, depressed daughter.

She sighed, and motioned for me to follow her. I obliged, and wasn't surprised when I saw the waiting carriage in front of my home. I hoisted myself in, and plopped myself in the seat across from my parents.

"Where to this time?" I said. My family always had plans, and dragged me with them on their little "expeditions". It was usually a trip to the kings castle, or to talk to the leader of the Military Police.

I saw the nervous expressions exchanged between my parents.

"This trip is going to be . . . different." My father said, his eyes dropping to the floor.

"Oh don't be so dramatic, Rivaille." My mother sighed.

I looked at my father. He used to be fun, and exciting. He was my best friend. But when we moved here, my father was shocked that this place was overrun by fear. Fear of the titans that had claimed so many lives. My mother believed that the titans would never return, but my father wasn't so sure. The thought of the titans returning had slowly drawn my father insane, and I lost my best friend. My only friend.

My mother turned to me. "Your father is right, though. This trip is going to be different."

"Different?" I said curiously.

"This time we'll be going to the Trost District of Wall Maria. I hope that doesn't bother you, Alice" My mother says quickly.

"Really? That doesn't bother me at all!" I say, trying to contain my excitement.

My mother lets out a relieved sigh. "Good. I was hoping it wouldn't."

I yawn, and decide to rest. For the first time in a while, I fall into a dreamless sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alice." I hear a voice subconciously.

My eyes flutter open, and take in the scene around me. My mother is standing in front of me, and evening sunlight filters in the carriages window.

I sit up. "Are we here?" I say groggily.

"Yes. You're father just left the carriage. I'm going to go too. Why don't you just go back to sleep and we'll be back before you know it." My mother says softly.

"Okay." I agree.

She smiles, and exits the carriage. I watch her go from the window, and wait five minutes after she fades from my view. Then I exit the carriage and run the opposite way my mother had gone.

There was no way I was passing up the chance to escape.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooooooooooooooo things are getting exciting! I wonder what'll happen! >_<

~ Emilee