Chapter 6 - Escape

2 years. 2 years had passed since Rivaille had left. I wondered what he was doing right now, but that only pained me more. I knew I should be mad at him, but I couldn't be. After all he had done, I still loved him. He was my big brother.

Rivaille leaving had only fueled my anger more. I was furious with the Titans for driving my family to pieces. I don't know what Rivaille was thinking when he told me to not join the Survey Corps. There was no way I was staying in the same cottage my mother was murdered in for the rest of my life.

I had trained harder than ever since Rivaille had left, and I was quite pleased with the outcome. Sure, I was short and had an innocent face, but I was strong.

After a long day of more training, I trudged back to the cottage. My whole body ached, but I was filled with excitement.

Tomorrow was my 15th birthday.

I was leaving at dawn, so that I would reach the wall by dusk. It was going to be tough, but I had to believe that I would make it past all the Titans. Once I got to the wall, I'd use my 3dmg to get over. I'd tell the guards everything, and they'd pity me so much I wouldn't be questioned at all. At least that's how I imagined it would happen.

After a night of 2 hours of sleep, it was time to go. I pulled on a comfortable - yet presentable - outfit, and my straps and 3dmg. I hoisted on my backpack of the essentials, and hit the road.

~~time skip~~

When will I ever get there? I thought after about 6 hours of walking.

I sighed. I had been walking in this damn forest for forever. I decided to just climb one of the huge trees and get a better look. After about 30 minutes of climbing, I finally popped my head out of the top.

"W-what the hell?!" I shrieked.

In the distance there was a Titan. Only it was female. It was chasing a bunch of people on horses, only no one seemed to be able to kill it. At the base of the tree I was in, a group of people passed by on horses. I looked down just in time to see a flash of black hair. Could it be...Rivaille?

"Rivaille..." I murmured absentmindedly.

I leapt from the tree, and glided down using my 3dmg. The group of horses was fading from view. I couldn't let them escape! I decided to follow them through the trees, so I would be able to see them, but they wouldn't see me. I shot after them, slowly decreasing the gap between us.

And then...the female Titan came.

I immediately swung into a tree, and watched to see what would happen. The Titan grabbed and killed all of the squad but two within minutes. I prayed that one of them wasn't my brother. I was about to go down and help, but then one of them... exploded?!

"What the hell?!" I shrieked - for the second time today.

Standing where the boy had been before, there was a very angry looking Titan. I saw the other survivor shooting off into the distance on his 3dmg, so I decided to follow him. Only right when I was about to jump off the branch, someone yanked me back by my shirt.

"And who are you, may I ask?" He said.

"R-Rosaline." I stutter, looking down, and then behind me. The two Titans must've taken their fight somewhere else, because they were nowhere in sight.

"Rosaline...Ackerman?" He says, and I can hear the surprise in his voice.

I look at him, and I immediately know who he is.

"Erwin!" I say happily. He pulls me in for a tight hug.

"Where've you been? I thought when your brother came you would too, but you didn't. I tried asking him about it, but he wouldn't tell me anything." He says.

"...Rivaille left me when I was 13." I say sadly.

"Rivaille? I haven't heard that name in 20 years." He chuckles.

"Why not? Haven't you seen him at all?" I ask confusedly.

"Oh, of course. He goes by Levi now. Guess Rivaille is to hard to pronounce." He explains.

"Levi..." I murmur.

"Well it's been nice seeing you again, but I really must go. I heard there was a female titan or something..." He says skeptically.

"There is, I saw it." I confirm.

He nods and takes off on his 3dmg, ending our conversation that lasted no more than a minute. I do the same, only I'm going in the direction I saw my supposed brother go.

I search for him for half an hour, but with no luck.

I give up and rest on a thick tree branch. I had been so close...would I ever find him?

I'm about to jump down and continue on my journey, when the air is filled with a deafening screech. I stop and look around frantically. What was that?!

When the scream stops I immediately shoot off in the direction it came from. Only a titan could've made that sound.

When I break through a barrier of trees, I stop. In front of me is a captured - and very angry - female titan.

Standing on her head is my brother.

~*~

[ A/N : Okay, so all of this might not be completely accurate to the show, and the characters might be a little different personality wise. I apologize for this, but that's the way this story is going. Also, I forgot to mention that this is the alternate story for Levi's past. Everything from A Choice With No Regrets never happened. :3 ]